× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Carry handles for a Carbonology Pulse.

More
2 years 7 months ago #38910 by Garypaddles
Hi All,
My first post here.
I have a Carbonology Pulse with no carry handles. Can you point me towards a suitable handle and fixings, please?
It is full carbon construction.
Also, if there are any videos out there showing how to fit secondary carry handles that would be great.
Cheers
Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #38915 by Ranga
Not so simple to attach handles, well, handles you actually want to use!
You have to have internal fixings to spread the load, light weight skin laminate is not strong enough to simply screw in handles.

More
2 years 7 months ago #38918 by zachhandler
The nelo side handles are not as good as proper handles but the do help a tired hand grip a wet boat by the bucket. Cheap and easy. There is a video in this link:

paddle-lab.com/surfski-side-handle.html

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
2 years 7 months ago #38920 by [email protected]
I'm with Ranga on this one.  Don't try to use screws!  Skis that have handles are specially reinforced to accept the screws/bolts. 

The Nelo handles might be worth trying!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
2 years 7 months ago #38922 by Garypaddles
Hi Zachandler,
The stick-on ones look like a possibility.
Many thanks
Gary

More
2 years 7 months ago #38923 by Garypaddles
Hi Rob,
Again many thanks for responding. I'm going to look at the Nelo video.
I'm using the boat mainly on the tidal River Thames which gets a bit gnarly but I also aim to use it for longer flatwater paddles with up to fifteen portages.

My other option is to put a grippy tape on the gunwale of the bucket. It's carrying the boat and the paddle which is a challenge but that might be a good use for the vestigial rear deck lines!

Cheers
Gary

More
2 years 7 months ago #38926 by tve
I bought transparent 3M shower no-slip tape (2 inch wide, I believe) and taped ~2ft/60cm on each side of the bucket just below the rim. It means that I can grab the surfski (V10) with one hand safely. It's not as secure as a real grip but comes quite close and is much longer, so you have more choices to balance the surfski. The tape being translucent makes it barely noticeable, you can obviously see it, but it doesn't stand out. Initially I was a bit concerned that the tape might bother me when paddling or remounting but I've never noticed anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: agooding2

More
2 years 7 months ago #38929 by agooding2
I did the same thing on my Nelo.

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

Latest Forum Topics