× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Slipping Jantex paddle adjuster

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #39570 by waverider
I change paddle length a lot partly due to conditions and also different disciplines ski/k1/ wildwater.

Problem is it keeps slipping (feather changes). I have to keep tightening the clamp screw with a screw driver. Backing it off when on shortest setting or lever wont close or release being too tight, and tighten it up on longer setting or shaft rotationally slips being too slack.

Obviously a new lock nut or threadlock would help it self backing off, but it seems i cant find a tension that will work at both long and short settings. Is this also a shaft wear issue, or even just a build up of crude inside making full insertion of insert too stiff?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #39571 by waverider
A closer look makes me suspect that the "cam" ramps behind the screw in the lever handle that move the clamp tighter may be worn. As result there is not enough tolerance clamp tightening movement. Maybe its stuffed beyond replacing the whole clamp assembly, thats beyond my ability, ugh..

Second thought maybe if I try swapping just the lever over with another it may show the whole assembly not needing replacement only the lever (though you would probably have to buy the lot)

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #39572 by mickeyA
I have the same problem with my jantex. If I adjust more than 2-3cm, I have to tighten or loosen the clamp by rotating the lever. I now just use a paddle length within 2-3cm, which is not ideal. I assumed it was from wear and tear, where the circumference of the male end was no longer uniform. I do not have this issue with any other paddle (Epic, Brasca, Think).

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #39573 by waverider
I just found that jantex have a tutorial on their youtube channel that shows how to replace the clamp, if you cant source the lever alone, or if the whole thing is worn... Also a reminder to lube the lever and not allow it to fold all the way back which both probably caused the issue in the first place.

There probably is wear in the male end but if the lever is functioning properly it should probably be able to accommodate this discrepancy

Latest Forum Topics