× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Hull treatments

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #245 by old_frog
Hull treatments was created by old_frog
Hi all... I am curious. What do you use on your boats to make them faster?

I am in the US so I am looking to find out some of the local products that work and don't slow my boat down.

What are the best products to wipe your boat down with after each use and before the big race?

Do you use some kind of wax to fill in the small scratches?
Do you use a silicone spray or a teflon for speed?

I understand if I do not get many replies as the answers may be big secrets ... thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #246 by [email protected]
I don't know of anything - but perhaps you might start a whole new craze with this!

I generally wipe my ski down with water after a paddle - but that's to get the salt off!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #247 by AlanC
Replied by AlanC on topic Re: Hull treatments
There has been some very cool research on hull speed, hydrodynamics, additives (wax, oils, silicone, etc.) and texture (smooth vs rough)... I can't find it the website that summarized the data right now, but in a nutshell it suggested;
  • wax is slow (prevents a water layer form bonding to the hull allowing a low friction water-water interface),
  • a slight micro texture is faster then glassy smooth (the micro-texture allows water to bond to hull more easily creating a low friction water-water interface),
  • there are some additives that speed up hulls, but they are very expensive and very heavy so there has to be a trade off

I believe gel coat has an inherent wax layer as part of its protective function. A complete and vigorous degreasing will remove that waxy layer. Be warned that the underlying gel coat will be at risk of staining and it will get harder and harder to clean. It will also be a dull matte finish, no more glossy wet look. Well unless it is wet...

I'll post a link when I find it again :-[

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #248 by old_frog
Replied by old_frog on topic Re: Hull treatments
thanks for the warning and advice... I look forward to the link.

Latest Forum Topics