× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

double how do you choose the front paddler?

More
14 years 10 months ago #3334 by philmara
Hey,

With another beguinner we had paddled a double surfski. But after some tries, we are not able to choose which one is the front paddler. Could you help us to choose with goods criterias (weight, size, ...)?

Someone told me that's the heavier is at front for a better surf downwind, is that right?

thanks
Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3336 by AndrewN
Hi Phil

Generally one chooses the person with more experience but in your case try to find the person with a better paddling rhythm...This will allow you to lead or follow more easliy than someone with an erratic stroke.

I also agree with the heavier paddler idea for downwind - as long as this paddler knows what they are doing!

Cheers

More
14 years 10 months ago #3340 by giff06
Hi Phil,
Have to agree with Andrew. My wife and I are in our first season in the double and as I am the more experienced paddler she rides in back. My stroke and technique are better than hers and I am comfortable using the foot peddles for steering. I am also heavier than she so those are the criteria that we use. I need to slow my cadence somewhat and she increases hers slightly versus the single boat, so we are both happy. It does take a real cooperative effort to get the most form the double and remember you must walk before you can run! Best of luck.
Ed Gifford
Toms River,NJ
USA

More
14 years 10 months ago #3348 by Nige
For the best speed combination, the paddler with the slower stroke rate should be in front, which allows the back paddler to keep in time without having to "chase" the front paddler. The back paddler won't be able to put down a full power stroke if he/she is battling to keep up with a fast stroke rate.

Latest Forum Topics