× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Cold Water Kit?

• AndyN
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #3677 by AndyN
Cold Water Kit? was created by AndyN
Ok I know most of the audience on hear bask in sunshine and warm water whilst paddling there ski's, but as autumn approaches hear in the UK I'm keen to make the most of the winds that inevitably blow at this time of year and wonder what kit people wear to keep warm on a ski?

As a marathon paddler it was always a case of stick a spraydeck, thermal and hat on!

So I was thinking neoprene bottoms and usual thermal + wind/waterproof top which would allow sufficient flexibility to paddle and keep the exposed legs warm. But does anyone have any better suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3679 by [email protected]
Yep, that's pretty much what we wear here in South Africa (Cape Town) in winter but I suspect that your conditions can be a lot more harsh than ours...

Some of the US & Scandinavian paddlers get a lot more dressed up in cold weather.

Cold water & wind chill can be rapid killers.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
14 years 7 months ago #3680 by RHamady
Replied by RHamady on topic Re:Cold Water Kit?
Here in the Mid-Atlantic, winter can get cold w/ water temps around 40 degrees w/ air in the upper 30's to mid 40's. I dress as if a catastophic event were to happen and I would be floating in the sea........I am a surfer as well, so I wear my full wetsuit while paddling.

These new wetsuits are very, very flexible and will keep you warm for quite a while if you end up going for a swim or waiting for a rescue. Additionally I wear a PFD and leash. Most days I paddle alone, so I need something that will keep me warm if something bad happens.

You can get a top of the line 4/3mm wetsuit for about $250, O'Neil, Quicksilver, Xcel, Rip Curl all make great wetsuits, I prefer O'Neil myself.

Hope this helps,
Aloha,
-Rich

More
14 years 7 months ago #3681 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:Cold Water Kit?
For the past 9 winters (while the water is still liquid), I've had great luck with NRS hydroskin trousers, a wicking shirt like a Craft long sleeve top, and a windproof vest. If it's a particularly cold day, then I might put a pair of hydroskin shorts over the hydroskin trousers. The feet are usually the first to get cold from wind exposure. I'll wear some combination of neoprene socks, wool socks, some longer windproof thermal socks. Hat and pogies obviously.

I paddle alone as well. I don't dress for immersion but for good heat dispersion from training. So, I'll stay very near shore or near water that I can stand up in, i.e. within 20-30 meters or so. I've capsized a few times in 0 C. air/1 C water, and haven't had any troubles either getting back on the ski or getting home before I get hypothermic.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3682 by postal256
Replied by postal256 on topic Re:Cold Water Kit?
ditto on that. I wear NRS Hydroskin pants and a poly thermal of some type. Winds here are pretty dead in the winter, so usually that's it, but if the wind is blowing I'll sometimes put a wind breaker on and have even put on dry pants a couple times. Not common though. A warm cap is helpful on most days. Normal pogies.

I always wear a pair of Hydroskin neoprene 'socks' that go to mid calf, with another pair of neoprene booties over them.. a little hot water in them before I start and I'm good for 2 hours. My ski is a wet ride though..

This is in water down to 39F. It's not fun, but it's better than sitting inside watching TV, and it doesn't snow enough for winter sports around here.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3683 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re:Cold Water Kit?
All good advice. Can I suggest first you gain an understanding of hypothermia and how it will affect you. Then you will be more able to come up with coping strategies that suit your environment. Here is a pretty good place to have a look. www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/kinrec/resear...ople/giesbrecht.html
I agree with Eric's strategies. It was what I did but a bit north of him and some time ago. The clothing was not as good then. The key thing is preparedness and never forget you are your own rescue team. You have to constantly calculate risks and a way out to safety.
Jim

• MASTERBOB
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #3684 by MASTERBOB
Replied by MASTERBOB on topic Re:Cold Water Kit?
as fall weather starts moving in on us here in the states, the through of being out on the water when its chilly always sucks. no matter what you put on your ether to hot or to cold! and if you go for a swim well it just makes things worse. but for me this is the only time of the year were i feel i have some bit of an advantage of most of you, not a big one. i live in phoenix az (which is in the middle of the desert) not the best place in the world for paddling a surfski, being one of two surfski paddlers that i know of in the state. it was a chilly 78 degrees out at 6 am this morning when i hit my little man made 2 mile long lake this morning. i was wearing no shoes a lite pair of shorts and a tank top which is the same thing i were when its 115 degres, i dont mind telling you guys i was a little chille, tomarrow i will were a hat. hehehehe

More
14 years 7 months ago #3685 by rojo
Replied by rojo on topic Re:Cold Water Kit?
Hi,
I am using the kit from Reed/Chillcheater from the UK if shorts and T-Shirt alone are becoming too chilly.
I think it is more versatile, less smelly, less restrictive and more comfortable than the average neopren clothing.

Cheers, RoJo

• AndyN
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #3687 by AndyN
Replied by AndyN on topic Re:Cold Water Kit?
Thanks for the replies guy's, the NRS stuff looks good but can't seem to find a UK dealer.
I have got some Reed's chillcheater kit, which is good but the shorts have a seem which causes my bony ar*%* problems so am looking for kit that has no seems round the backside.

Cheers,

Andy

More
14 years 7 months ago #3688 by owenfromwales
Replied by owenfromwales on topic Re:Cold Water Kit?
Hi Andy,
For September/October in most of the UK the water is still comparatively warm, so wetsuit shorts and Helly type top is usually fine. In recent years I`ve been wearing cycling shirts, and they work great. As it gets colder you can slip a thin wind cheater on top - again the cycle type ones are great for this as they are thin and not too hot. They are also zippable.
For the winter months in Wales I used to wear wetsuit trousers, booties, one or two cycling shirts (depending on sunshine on the day) and one (or sometimes even two) cags depending on the wind. (the second cag for very cold days was usually the old Palm type jobby). PFD also keeps you warm, as does a good wooly bobble hat. Come December you might struggle without pogies.
To be honest though, between November and the end of March, I used to train flat days on the sea and windy days on the river. If you do insist on paddling in the rough in mid-winter, then a surfing steamer may the way to go.
Good luck mate,
Owen

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

• AndyN
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #3689 by AndyN
Replied by AndyN on topic Re:Cold Water Kit?
Cheers Owen,
Yes I think your right when it gets really cold I'll go back to the river in the K1!
The idea of paddling in a steamer isn't too appealing.
Andy

Latest Forum Topics