× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

shotty technique

More
14 years 4 months ago #4001 by nick_aus
shotty technique was created by nick_aus
Hi all
I've had a surf ski now for about 3 months. I bought (as my first ski obviously) a Robberg Express - which looking back now probably wasn't the best choice for a 1st ski...
I have however gotten well over the initial balancing issue, as I rarely come off anymore even tho there is a fair bit of chop where I go out. I had been going out atleast 5 times a week until recently when my right wrist has began to fell quite sore. This soreness I believe is a result from my crappy paddling technique.

When I paddle, my right hand seems to be a dominant hand (is it even normal to have a dominant hand?) and my left hand seems to ride up the paddle.
My right hand does the rotating of the paddle (as in my right hand doesn't let go of the paddle at all in my paddle rotation) while my left hand loosens and allows the paddle to rotate in my grip.

I've tried paddling a few different ways, but its like I always subconsciously resort back to paddling in the way I've mentioned above. I've tried watching the paddling technique of paddlers on youtube, but I just can't crack it.
I ordered a DVD for beginners - but it focuses more on choosing the right gear rather than technique.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Or know of a good paddling technique dvd?
Thanks
Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• robtest
  • Visitor
14 years 4 months ago #4002 by robtest
Replied by robtest on topic Re:shotty technique
Hey Nick

Can't pick up from your post that you're doing anything wrong in that it is correct for your right hand to be holding the paddle and rotating while the shaft rotates in your left hand .

But by far the best thing to do is to find one of the elite paddlers and ask them for a bit of stroke correction.

You may want to have a look at the Forward Stroke DVD from Epic - it features Oscar Chalupsky and Greg Barton...

Where do you live?

Regards
Rob

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
14 years 4 months ago #4003 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:shotty technique
Hi Nick

It sounds like tendonitis. I also had it when i started out. Its nothing to do with your technique but your feather angle (paddle). If the angle is too high you have to twist the shaft with your right wrist in a similar fashion as you would open the throttle of a motorbike. This causes sever pain after a while.

The solution is simple. If you have a split shaft paddle drop the angle until you are no longer required to twist your right wrist when stroking with the left blade. If you have a set shaft the angle is too high.

More
14 years 4 months ago #4004 by nick_aus
Replied by nick_aus on topic Re:shotty technique
thanks for the quick reply guys!

I'm looking into getting an adjustable paddle now. Which brand make the best adjustable paddles? I've emailed onno and orka, we'll see.

Nick
North Queensland

More
14 years 3 months ago #4005 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re:shotty technique
The Orka adjustable has a flexible shaft which should help you get over the tendonitis as well.

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #4006 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re:shotty technique
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by superted.

More
14 years 3 months ago #4007 by AndrewN
Replied by AndrewN on topic Re:shotty technique
Most people have their right hand as dominant - it grips the paddle and twists it while the left tightens and loosens accordingly to let it happen.

Mosty paddlers use between 45 and 60 degrees feather on their blades - I know some of the hard core older guys like Oscar etc use up to 90 degrees but apart from making it easier into the wid there is no benefit.

Mark out where your hands must go with insulation tape on either side of your grip to stop the hand sliding inwards. A BASIC rule of thumb is to put the center of the paddle on your head and have your elbows at about 90 degrees when reaching up and holding the shaft. Now ensure the distance from each blade is the same and mark out with the tape as above. Adjust inwards or outwards as you feel necessary.

Latest Forum Topics