× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

High Bracing to Recover from an Imminent Capsize

More
16 years 8 months ago #734 by MFB
Surf ski normally uses low bracing. However, there have been times that using it just dont quite save you from getting a dip.

Here's a link to high bracing drills. www.seakayakermag.com/2005/Feb05/highbracing5.htm

Can you guys comment if this is applicable to Surf Ski? I assume its best to leave your foot in the straps while attempting to high brace and rotate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #735 by [email protected]
I think if you've gone over on a ski as far as that guy in the photo, nothing's going to stop you coming out - but yep, I do used a high brace when necessary, it's a lot more efficient than a low brace in terms of keeping your speed up. A low brace means you've stopped paddling - a high brace is just a slightly more frantic stroke... or have I got it all wrong?! :)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 8 months ago #736 by Mako
Just be aware that if you're going to dislocate a shoulder it'll usually be while doing a high brace! Bear this in mind when paddling a long way from the shore.

Latest Forum Topics