× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

New to Surfski, please advise...

More
17 years 2 months ago #99 by Shawn Michael
I have moved to southern California, I am a block from the beach and I want to get involved in some watersport. I always remember watching Magnum PI paddling in and thought "some day"

So my questions

1) Surf ski or Sea Kayak? Possible problem, I weigh 270lbs. I am very fit, just a former football player.

2) My ultimate goal is to paddle from san pedro to catalina island (26 miles) is that even on the radar after year of training, or only an accomplishment for the elite?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #100 by Martin
Howzit

As this site is predominantly a surfski site you would find that most would plug skis.
As for what ski, this is dependent on your situation ( previous experience in a ski, seat size etc). Would you be wanting to race or are you happy to paddle socially are questions you should ask yourself.
There's no argument that the ocean racing skis ( Fenn, Epic, Icon, Robberg, Huki plus many more) all out perform the spec skis. Unfortunately these bring along their own challenges such as stability issues.
There's no shame in starting on a stable ski and moving up to the molakai type ones later.
And Yes, I have seen a few 120kg guys in Epic and Fenn skis.

As for your goal I believe it is possible provided you are comfortable and paddling fit. Get some training advice from the local ski representatives ( Huki, Epic ) or post a message here tips. I'm sure you will find many very happy to help.
If you can paddle with others it is not only safer, but you can all share the pain which is easier.

Cheers
Martin

• MASTERBOB
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago #101 by MASTERBOB
Replied by MASTERBOB on topic Re: New to Surfski, please advise...
Get the surfski, more then likely you will fit better in a ski then a kayak due to the upper deck. Check out the EPIC KAYAK web site there is an article about some former buffalo bill in Hawaii on a EPIC V-10 SPORT. The rep for epic kayak in San Diego is a great guy who can hook you up for a demo, he also does training workshops in mission bay, and this would help you get started and meet some people. In fact there is a race in Newport this weekend.

More
17 years 2 months ago #102 by Stan K
Hi Shawn

I am a beginner and at 115kg. The weight isnt a problem, it will just slow you down a little. I found that the weight can ifluence your stability as all the forces acting on the ski are higher. The resultant sideways forces and torques on the hull are proportional to your weight so us the heavies suffer a little when learning tobalance.

But dont let it discourage you, I am hooked, its the most enjoyabe sport i have done.

PS remember that episode where Magnum fell out his ski and had to tread water for like 3 days... leash comes to mind...

"If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you" -Nietsche

More
17 years 2 months ago #103 by Shawn Michael
Thanks for some great messages. I am really psyched. The info is very helpful and valuable.

I was recently in Hawaii and did a lot Kayaking...the two person rental ones, I am sure they are not so great. Anyway there were a lot of young folks on our "tour" and we got to racing. It was fun! Only two miles but it was pretty thrilling. My wife was a great rower in college so she helped us clean up, but it just felt great...I felt tireless and strong.

I have a lot of questions but I will head down to San Diego and do a demo. My father in law is an active rower at the Long Beach Boathouse so I will have support to get started.

Thanks.

More
17 years 2 months ago #104 by Ashley
Check out www.red7surf.com. They have the Surf 70 which was reviewed by surfski.info and was rated as fast and very stable. The Red 7 website also lists the Surf 70+ which they say was specifically designed for big people, and is even more stable. The Surf 70+ is the biggest ski that I am aware of. It is my understanding that Red 7s are available in Southern California from Patrick and DeAnne Hemmings at www.oceanpaddlesports.com. Their website also states that they have demo days where you can try out all the skis and get their expert advice. Jude at www.huki.com is also located in Southern California and has demo days. Good luck and have fun paddling.

Latest Forum Topics