Any Special regulations in Canada?

More
13 years 10 months ago #4558 by Tom_D
I am taking my ski up to Canada this summer and I wondered if there are any special regulations I should know about. We are planning to spend two months on the Georgian Bay north of Parry Sound.

I read the boaters regulations for boats over 6 meters and it looks like I need an approved PFD, 50' tow line, flashlight and whistle. The reg's read like I didn't need flares if I don't go more than 1 nautical mile from land. I have a clip on navisafe navigation light if needed. I assume my GPS will serve as a compass if required.

The OPP seems pretty strict about boater safety so I figured I had better be prepared.

Thanks
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4559 by YBA/Jim Murray
Six metre length is intended for motor boats. The OPP are mostly looking for alcohol and unsafe boat handling.
Police will treat you as a canoeist and usually won't pay much attention. They may have stopped me once checking for a PFD. The question was "is your lifejacket in the boat?".
You will paddle in a great place, but keep in mind you will be in or near wilderness areas. The Great Lakes generate their own weather systems. The few items in a basic survival kit are easy to stow and if on hand probably won't be needed. Although I never carried a cell phone before-now I think it should be. Call it the chicken gene.
Oh, and if you do South Baymouth to Tobermory tell us how it was?
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics