Re: Paddle choice

More
16 years 5 months ago #1065 by deanjordaan
I currently paddle a Bratcha 4 min. I moved from a SET Endorfin. I moved to benefit from the stronger catch. I like the Bratcha on the flat water, but I'm not convinced in the sea. The Bratcha catch is more aggressive and in the bumpy sea you're often unable to do a perfect catch and I suspect I'm doing an ineffective stroke more often as a result.

I am considering trying a Epic for the sea on the theory that the catch is more forgiving with more power in mid-stroke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1066 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Re: Paddle choice
Paddle choice has always been a bit of a hard one to sort out for me. I have always tended to use the large blade size purely by the fact that it was what was shoved into my hand from the onset. In hindsight being in the 73kg weight zone this was probably not the best. But one learns how to get by with these things and get the maximum out of your paddle. For instance I like the large to pull over and link up waves. It has a nice grip. A big negative is that after ~25km and if I have been fighting the surf I occasionally get forearm cramps.

Speaking to a few SA paddlers there seems to be consensis that they mostly use a mid size, with some ( Bartho) changing to suit conditions. He mentioned when I was chatting to him at his transition zone at the Avon descent that he may use a large size if conditions are strong downwind or even shift to a mid/large epic. He was using a mid size for the flat water stage in the Avon.

I have just received a mid large epic ( Cut back version of the large at about 800cm2) and will give it a try today before deciding to use it for the Perth Race on Saturday. I am not sure it's wise to try new equipment in a race.

Martin

More
16 years 2 months ago #1067 by Gareth
Replied by Gareth on topic Re: Paddle choice
How was the paddle Martin? What kind of shaft do you have?
Gareth

More
16 years 2 months ago #1068 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re: Paddle choice
I own Epic and Onno. Both offer paddles of lighter weight and better cosmetics than what you get from many other manufacurers. I have also heard good things about Jantex and Kajner paddles.

The Fenn paddle that I tried seemed OK, but it was noticably heavier than what I was used to. Fenn claims that on the ocean, it is better to have a heavier paddle so that you don't risk breaking it while in the surf--this may be a valid point, but there are plenty of guys using the Epic paddles in the ocean and you don't hear about a lot of problems.

The nice thing about Onno paddles is that you are getting a custom made paddle with whatever layup you want.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1069 by [email protected]

there are plenty of guys using paddles in the ocean and you don't hear about a lot of problems.

Without mentioning any names, on two separate occasions I've been with guys who broke blades during big downwind runs - so don't underestimate this point.

(The first guy managed to paddle on very tentatively without putting pressure on the cracked blade. He was able to repair the blade.

The other guy's blade broke right off about 4cm from the shaft and he had to swim to shore.)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 2 months ago #1070 by onnopaddle
Replied by onnopaddle on topic Re: Paddle choice
Hi Martin,

Just wondering ... who did / customized the Epic for you ?

Speaking of custom .... Thomas, thanks for the kind words .... but please remember who I actually designed that ultralight layup for on that one. I think you should have your own.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1071 by [email protected]
And don't forget shaft length. Oscar for one changes his shaft length in mid-paddle to suit conditions - making it shorter going upwind or when he's tired and lengthening it when going downwind.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 2 months ago #1072 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Paddle choice

I have also heard good things about Jantex and Kajner paddles.

Quite a few of the guys in our kayak club use Jantex and really like them.

I'm the distributor for Kajner in Australia, so would be biased of me to post a review! ;D

Latest Forum Topics