Broken Paddle - ideas on removing glued sleeve ?

More
12 years 1 week ago #11117 by portmanm
Attached is a picture of the problem with some questions.

The rest of the paddle is fine. If I needed to get really drastic, could you cut off the blades and insert a new piece of carbon shaft, then insert a new split shaft kit ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Matt

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #11120 by Rightarmbad
Two people, grab, twist hard.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 1 week ago #11123 by owenfromwales

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #11124 by Kocho
Yes, do check the link above. I did exactly that and with a heat gun the sleeve came right out rather easy.

However, your sleeve looks like it is a bit different than mine - yours seems to have some sort of widening towards the shaft. So not sure if your adhesive is the same as mine (I have no idea what was used on mine, only that it melted to a soft goo consistency with not too much heat and I was able to reinsert it right back in the other half of the paddle without adding new glue and it seems to stay put there just fine)...
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by Kocho.

More
12 years 1 week ago #11128 by Hiro
I used boiling water to soften the epoxy glue to remove a twist lock ferrule from an Epic paddle. It worked with no problem. Pics on this thread : www.surfski.info/forum/17-equipment/7449...ml?limit=20&start=20

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #11131 by latman
Be careful with the heat as it will soften the epoxy glue only a few degrees lower than the resin used in the shaft. If you do soften the shaft resin and then twist it there will be a strange useless mess left over. I wonder if Kochos spigot was glued in with thermoplastic "hot glue" ? that stuff can be ugly if it softens in hot climates and changes your angle or length but it makes removal easy!

where are you based portmanm ? you only need a spigot and a half a metre(ish) of regular shaft ( offcut of a broken one ?)
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by latman.

More
12 years 4 days ago #11206 by mrak
I've also just taken the loose wobbly collar off my Epic split paddle, cut 2cm off the shaft side that had the collar on it and sanded the glossy burgundy finish so the new adhesive would stick.

I used a black adhesive silicone (from an auto shop)to glue the collar back in place as that was what was on it originally, not epoxy. However, I didn't put enough adhesive on the first time and the collar still wobbled on the shaft when it dried. It obviously had air bubbles under the collar and hadn't a good contact with both surfaces. I twisted it hard, removed it and scraped off the adhesive again with a razor and steel wool.

I cleaned the dusty surface off with methylated spirits then reapplied the adhesive silicone to the shaft (thickly this time) and slid the collar on, rotating back and forth gently and lined it up to the zero degree mark.
24 hours later it had set and is now strong and should last a good while I hope.

So I now have a shorter minimum length of 208 cm on my 210-215 paddle and it only cost about $8 for the silicone. Don't be afraid to have a go, particularly as the silicone adhesive is probably easier to use and remove than the epoxy I imagine.

More
12 years 3 days ago #11221 by portmanm
Thanks everyone - learnt alot.

Lucky for me I've found a professional paddle maker only 1 block from my house - who would know !

Instead of me buying glue/materials, spending hours trying to remove the male insert. Handover the paddle to a professional - and for $100 I get a great repair.

Thanks Alan Wilson from Woonona !

Btw, Alan's carbon fibre paddles look awesome - might try a few in the future.

Bio
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Nelo 560M

More
12 years 8 hours ago #11250 by portmanm
Root Cause: Whoever implemented the last kit sanded the male sleeve to less than 1mm to fit into the existing shaft. New kit has more than 2mm thickness - rock solid !

I'll share Alan's contact details for Aussie paddlers in another thread. Alan is happy for me to do this.

Bio
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Nelo 560M

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #38560 by casualpaddle
Found this post looking for advice on removing a broken ferrule.  The hot water and heat gun methods did not work for me.  I carefully cut a slit in the ferrule with a dremmel type hobby tool and then removed it (quite easily) by prizing it off with a chisel.  I hope this helps!
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by casualpaddle.

More
2 years 10 months ago #38563 by zachhandler
Anyone else read this thread from the top and get excited that rightarmbad was back online? I certainly butted heads with him a few times but I also liked him and miss his presence here. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• Jef58
  • Visitor
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #38567 by Jef58
Yes Zachandler,  There is always a few of these characters (like that Kayakchampeen...) on any dedicated forum that have a lot of knowledge but always seem to get banned. The same thing with cycling forums. I think,  they don't take things and themselves as serious as the group would like. Lots of people come to these sites for very detailed serious information and those characters like to ruffle things up to keep it on the fun side. They give you enough info to make you go out and earn the results instead of spoon-feeding it to you.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Jef58.

Latest Forum Topics