Re: Epic V10 Sport vs Fenn XT

More
16 years 5 months ago #1121 by stallion09
I couldn't agree with you more. I am one of those with the homemade foam add-on and it is
starting to fall apart. I emailed epic this week and am going to order one of there seat pad systems.
You would think they might send it to me for free as I am not 250lbs.

From my nooby perspective.

Ive now had a few paddles of a V10 sport performance and a V10 Ultra (swam alot). I really liked the sport, but slid around in the seat. What was epic thinking when they made the seat so big? (im 90kg) and id doubt even fit bigger guys don't have arses that would fill that seat.

Ive seen photos of the foam add-ons, but this seems like a cheap fix for an expensive ski. EPIC should offer two seat sizes (be interesting how many large seat version would sell then).

I plan to "test" an XT soon, hopefully can have a go on both the fg and carbon.

Thanks for the replies and input guys

Thanks

My surfski blog

ct-surfski.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1122 by DaveC
Replied by DaveC on topic Re: Epic V10 Sport vs Fenn XT
I have owned a Fenn XT in fibre glass and now own an Epic V10 Sport Ultra. The XT is unquestionably the most stable of the two. There are a number of factors. The Epic has a single footwell and so your feet are closer together, also the Ultra is probably 7 kg lighter making it a lot more flighty and exhilarating. Additionally, the hull shape of all the Epics make them turn quickly. I've also paddled the heavier entry level 'club' V10 Sport in the past, which is closer in weight to a fibre glass XT. Probably not as flighty as the Ultra but still tippier than the XT.

Both the Sport and the XT shine when the water is really confused/onshore. The lighter Ultra is easier to maintain momentum going into the wind because you are not having as much inertia to overcome going through waves. Downwind the XT holds a better line. I've found that I need to use the larger ovaloid rudder on the Ultra rather than the smaller tapered square rudder to avoid the occassional broach.

Insofar as the Sport seat well goes, you do slide around a lot unless you use a foam insert and also pad around your hips. Epic provide for the Sport two self adhesive (double sided tape) neoprene pouches with a velco opening that allows you to put up to 3 pieces of foam into it to take up the slack around your hips. I found the pouches next to useless because the tape used eventually gives up (after several outings) compunded by the act of getting back in the ski pulls the pouch down further exposing the tape to failure. My advice is don't use them as it's a messy job to clean off the tape. Make some tapered hip pads out of foamand use a bit of duct tape to try them for size before your lock them more permanently in place with F2 or similar contact adhesive. The ski is a lot more stable when you use hip pads.

The fairest comparison would be the XT in carbon fibre lined up against the Ultra.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1123 by superted
Thanks Dave for yr review...can't wait to try out a carbon XT.

From Kayakcentres website re: V10 Sport "This is an imtermediate ski, which is fast, stable, fully adjustable and has good volume. It is available in 2 bucket widths".

And China can't do two seat sizes as well?

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
16 years 4 months ago #1124 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re: Epic V10 Sport vs Fenn XT
Ted,
You should also take a look at the Think Evo. Its about a foot longer than the V10S and XT, but with the same width, so just as stable. Was out yesterday with a few guys on Thinks, I had a V10S. Some ugly cross chop. I swam, they didn't.
Sorry to make the search for the perfect boat even longer, but I think you'll find it worth your time.
Cheers
Sean

More
16 years 4 months ago #1125 by DaveC
Replied by DaveC on topic Re: Epic V10 Sport vs Fenn XT
Ted

If you can get a Sport with a smaller bucket then that would solve a lot of hassles dicking around with hip pads. If you are getting a V10 Sport made in Sth Africa, it may be heavier than those coming out of China. I'd ask for photo graphic evidence of a weighed ski before you buy. Also an e-mail to Oscar C or Greg B asking about weights wouldn't hurt either.

Cheers Dave

More
16 years 4 months ago #1126 by superted

Ted,
You should also take a look at the Think Evo. Its about a foot longer than the V10S and XT, but with the same width, so just as stable. Was out yesterday with a few guys on Thinks, I had a V10S. Some ugly cross chop. I swam, they didn't.
Sorry to make the search for the perfect boat even longer, but I think you'll find it worth your time.
Cheers
Sean

Just had a go on an Evo :) :)

Ted

If you can get a Sport with a smaller bucket then that would solve a lot of hassles dicking around with hip pads. If you are getting a V10 Sport made in Sth Africa, it may be heavier than those coming out of China. I'd ask for photo graphic evidence of a weighed ski before you buy. Also an e-mail to Oscar C or Greg B asking about weights wouldn't hurt either.

Cheers Dave

For others that are interested in the smaller seat V10 Sport, Kayak Centre informed me that the V10 Sport cannot be exported to Australia due to licencing arrangement.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1127 by txbuckeye
What was your impression of the EVO, Ted?

More
16 years 4 months ago #1128 by superted
hi Dave,

I just changed the topic heading to include the Think Evo.

Realistically with my very low level of experience I am looking at two main areas starting out, Stability (so I can get better at paddling) and Cost (to get into a new boat).

I can only compare the Think Evo against a short amount of time spent in a V10 sport (reference point).

The secondary stability of the Think Evo was a lot better then the V10 Sport as the seat fitted like a glove and was very comfortable. As a bonus i never fell out (i never got to test remounting, but it was a cold day so was happy i stayed dry). The Sport was real easy to remount from both sides as I got lots of practice doing it.

I prefer the twin foot strap setup of the Evo, then the single of the Sport. The Evo i thought had less room near yr outer calves and the gunwale. I don?t think there would be a rubbing issue.

The V10 Sport definately turns better, as the Evo had a small squarish rudder (i believe there is a bigger rudder for it).

The other things on the Evo are a bonus and would be things id add to a Sport if I got one. The leash attachment point is a fantastic idea as well as the front hatch. The wingnut on the rudder is good but id drill and split pin any boat i bought anyway.

Cosmetically the paint shine/ finish was very good. The hidden seem/join between top deck and hull also adds to this being a much better looking ski then the Sport. If I had a sport I would add different colors for safety/uniqueness rather then leave it plain white.

Cost, both brands are made in China. The Evo 12kg and 15kg ski's are roughly 15- 25% cheaper then the comparible weighted V10 sports. Even if stability was exactly the same, I still think the Evo is more a premium looking product and thus offers way better bang for your buck.

Latest Forum Topics