Re: paddle size

More
15 years 9 months ago #1321 by Boof Head
Re: paddle size was created by Boof Head
Thanks Fellas. Some good info shared. I've cut down one of my sea kayak touring paddles and will wait until a well priced split shaft , wing paddle hits ebay.
Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nell
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago #1322 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: paddle size
Good point, Stuart. When I use a FEnn 1, the total paddle length is about 2-3 cm longer than when I use a blade like an Epic mid. Interestingly, I demo'd a Bracsa 8 a year ago and had to use a 224 or more (can't remember) just to be able to fit my hands on the shaft at their normal width. Those blades are very long.

More
15 years 9 months ago #1323 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: paddle size

Lewis Laughlin did use a 207 mid wing Epic in San Francisco, but I noticed in the Molokai pictures from this year he was using a Jantex paddle. It was hard to tell what length it was, as it looked like a one piece paddle. Perhaps someone can clarify.

I can confirm that Lewis uses (and used at Molokai) a "2.15 adjustable Jantex mid-plus" to quote him exactly.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
15 years 9 months ago #1324 by mbuck428
Replied by mbuck428 on topic Re: paddle size
Thanks Rob. Did Lewis say what length he adjusted it to?

More
15 years 9 months ago #1325 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re: paddle size

Another factor to take into account is the blade length / shape. Seems to me that your hands need to be in the same place relative to the water - so with a longer blade, the paddle length will be a bit longer. (not sure if I explained that properly).

For example a parallel blade like a Lettman 1 is much longer than an equal sized teardrop paddle like a Braca IV. To keep you hands in the same place and bury the whole blade, the Lettman would have to be longer by about 3cm.

I know that the parallel blades have become unfashionable recently but there are a lot of people using them as they have been shown to be more predictable in rough water.

This has been my experience as well. When using a paddle that had smaller blades than my Epic mid (Onno small endurance 18"x6"), I naturally wanted the smaller bladed paddle to be shorter.

More
15 years 9 months ago #1326 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: paddle size

Thanks Rob. Did Lewis say what length he adjusted it to?

Not explicitly - so I infer that he used it set to 2.15.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
15 years 9 months ago #1327 by MBD
Replied by MBD on topic Re: paddle size
Has anyone ever heard of cutting and shortening a one piece paddle? We have an epic midwing 220cm and would like to shorten it by about 5 or so cm. I was thinking that maybe we could have a ferrel installed in the center to make it a 2 piece adjustable. Any thoughts if this is possible?

More
15 years 9 months ago #1328 by stuartknaggs
Replied by stuartknaggs on topic Re: paddle size
very easily done

Latest Forum Topics