Surf Rudder

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #14213 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Re: Surf Rudder

hamishglen wrote: From the link below, the one on the far right is the one I'm using now (universal), and the one on the far left is the surf. Hope this helps.

www.epickayaks.com/download/journals/ima...ews/2010/ski-rudders

I paddle a V10 Sport. Using the "universal" rudder. I'm too new to be in big water so mostly small waves ,2 feet .

I just ordered a surf rudder for the Epic. My question is how do i mount it ? In the above pic the shaft is located more to the right. Do I mount with the bulk of the rudder facing backward or toward the bow? I'm at work and cannot recall how the universal is mounted.
Even if proper install is with bulk of rudder toward the stern I wonder how it would feel if I reversed it? Has anybody tried this?

Maybe get a long drill bit and remount the pin dead center? Just don't want to mess up my $85 dollar purchase !!

Thanks
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by drjay9051. Reason: added info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14216 by Davidw
Replied by Davidw on topic Re: Surf Rudder
The rudders in the pic are all facing right so if you put them on your boat it should be pointing right as well.
Not sure what you mean by the bulk but the more rounded edge would be forward and the the sharper more tapered edge toward the tail.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14219 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Re: Surf Rudder
Thanks Kirby, this is helpful. I'll be in Fish Hoek in Dec/Jan and will go and pester the good folk at the Paddling Centre

More
11 years 5 months ago #14220 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Re: Surf Rudder

drjay9051 wrote: I wonder how it would feel if I reversed it? Has anybody tried this?

i would say if you fit a rudder off balance forward of the pivot, it would turn hard as soon as you put in any rudder input and jam there, needing large force to straighten.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #14222 by rubberDuck
Replied by rubberDuck on topic Re: Surf Rudder

Rod Thomas wrote: Would that work for me even in a Horizon? Steering is very un-positive when going down wind

Get rid of that banana piece of shite that it uses as a standard rudder. It might be good for surf-life saving type of paddling, but not for downwind paddling.

BTW, when I ordered my Horizon I asked them to supply it with the Synergy rudder. Not great, but much better than the banana. Next stop will be a proper elliptical by Hein.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by rubberDuck.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14223 by kmac
Replied by kmac on topic Re: Surf Rudder
Get rid of that banana piece of shite that it uses as a standard rudder. It might be good for surf-life saving type of paddling, but not for downwind paddling.

BTW, when I ordered my Horizon I asked them to supply it with the Synergy rudder. Not great, but much better than the banana. Next stop will be a proper elliptical by Hein.[/quote]

As I posted previously, it definitely works in a Horizon, John is well impressed with the new found responsiveness of his ski. Money well spent.

www.carbonologysport.com

Regards and happy paddling on the weekend folks.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14225 by johnvwoolf
Replied by johnvwoolf on topic Re: Surf Rudder
I have been paddling a Horizon for the past 3 years. Great level entry boat. I found the banana rudder a bit sluggish and adapted a Synergy rudder to fit the Horizon. It was a big improvement and did not cavitate that much in the surf like the stock rudder. Kirby was ordering some surf rudders from Carbonolgy for his Swordfish and I ordered one for the Horizon. A huge improvement and it is very responsive. It also tracks very well on a down wind. Money well worth spent.

Regards,

John

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14392 by Rod Thomas
I'm writing to Hein Van Rooyen of Carbonology for a surf rudder for a Horizon. What specifications (length, shape etc) do you suggest I ask for?

More
11 years 5 months ago #14400 by johnvwoolf
Hi Rod,

We sent a drawing to Hein van Rooyen ( Kirby Mac order) when we ordered it from him and I suppose he should have it on file. The order came from Namibia. The rudder works great. Happy paddling.

Regards,

John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod Thomas

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14402 by Rod Thomas

johnvwoolf wrote: The order came from Namibia.

Thanks for this. I used to live in Walvis Bay. That was long ago. What do you do, go out in the mist and come in on the SW wind in the afternoon?
Rod

More
11 years 5 months ago #14403 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Re: Surf Rudder

Rod Thomas wrote: I'm writing to Hein Van Rooyen of Carbonology for a surf rudder for a Horizon. What specifications (length, shape etc) do you suggest I ask for?

Let me know how you get on contacting Carbonology, have sent an email to each of their emails on the website with no reply.

Or does anyone know of an NZ Agent for them?

More
11 years 5 months ago #14405 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Surf Rudder
Fergs is the Carbonology agent.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14416 by johnvwoolf
Hi Rod,

When were you up this way? Let me have your email address. We do most of our paddling in the afternoon. We have great S Westerlies here and have a great run from W/bay to Langstrand or from Pelican Point to Swakopmund, about 28kms. Wind on our backs. My email is
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cheers,

John.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14485 by Rod Thomas

sAsLEX wrote: Let me know how you get on contacting Carbonology, have sent an email to each of their emails on the website with no reply.

Yes Hein replied to me and took my order

More
11 years 4 months ago #14687 by hamishglen
Replied by hamishglen on topic Re: Surf Rudder
I’ve now received my surf rudder and have had 3 outings. My initial thoughts – wow, what a difference!
The rudder is now super responsive, and I haven’t noticed any drop in speed - although I’m pretty new at this caper.

It would be great if boat dealers/manufacturers gave you the choice and some advice on rudder when purchasing a boat.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14695 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Surf Rudder

hamishglen wrote: It would be great if boat dealers/manufacturers gave you the choice and some advice on rudder when purchasing a boat.

Some do :)

www.thinkkayak.com.au/2011/06/rudder-selection/

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #16898 by Rod Thomas
Yes the elliptical rudder from Hein has absolutely transformed my Horizon. It used to drift off waves to the side whenever it was just about to catch them. Very frustrating. I thought it was all my bad technique. Now I can hop from wave to wave and I hardly ever broach. Still a slow heavy boat but vastly improved and much more enjoyable. Also coming in through the surf is much safer. I don't often do it coz of the 'speed bumps' (ie surfers) which clog the surf zone, but it is nice to know I can. Also fitted a weed guard which is essential here with all the ropes, weed, plastic bags in the sea off Japan.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17250 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Re: Surf Rudder
Bit off topic but associated: what if any are the disadvantages of a weed guard?

As well as weed-shedding ability could it marginally increase stability or tracking, like a centre board or keel in a yacht?

To fit, just epox on? Had a bit of a hunt in forums as sure I've read this here but no joy. Equipment?

More
10 years 10 months ago #17255 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Surf Rudder
I reckon there is a slight increase in stability and tracking.
I use 5 minute epoxy to stick mine on.
The benefits outweigh any slight increase in drag. In fact, you've just inspired me to go out and make a monster and see if it helps stability in the winter slop.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17258 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Surf Rudder

Watto wrote: Bit off topic but associated: what if any are the disadvantages of a weed guard?

None, a well made and fitted weed guard will scoop any weed onto the leading edge of your rudder at such an angle as to displace it and the diameter and profile of the guard shouldn't add to the drag of the existing rudder.

I am constantly surprised at how many ski paddlers don't bother with them and can tell you many instances where I've had significant advantages over others that have struggled with weed in races.

While I have always used superglue I have heard of others using silicone.

Always looking for the next boat :)

Latest Forum Topics