Re: Camelbak on a V10

More
16 years 4 months ago #1417 by superted

Seriously, the V10 is a race boat and if a paddler needs a hatch, they can easily build one into the forward bulkhead.

Well yes, already made that point. Imagine if Epic offered a no cost option when you ordered the ski, since you did pay the premium.

beautifully sleek form-follows-function ultra-high performance watercraft came with a big hole drilled into it with a cheap plastic screw thing glued in place.

Form follows function ? yep agree a hatch has no function and most definately a bungee'd or duck taped camel back looks far more sleek then having the camel back stored within the hull.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1418 by Ritchie Cunningham
Okay, you keep using the term premium, and by that I take it you mean that for its given price, the V10 should include a hatch. I'm fine with that as long as they do not put one on every boat. Everyone has different needs, we use these boats differently and in widely varying conditions. Even though Greg has approved the installation of a hatch on the aft section of the upper bow, I'd feel safer without it. The possibility of a hatch cover coming loose out in 8' seas with a 30 Kt. breeze blowing is not something I want to be concerned about. Its the quest for simplicity and peace of mind.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1419 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re: Camelbak on a V10
The newer version Mako 6 boats come with a nice water bottle holder built into the hull in front of the footrest. The included water bottle looks small, yet holds 2 quarts (1.9 liters). Of course, you need to put a tube onto the bottle yourself, but this is easy enough. I think this is a great solution because the bottle is basically integrated into the hull--there is no way for it to come off. The only problem is that since it is in front of your feet, the tube has to be fairly long--but this is still better than having it behind you. Huki offers all kinds of storage hatch options. It seems like the best option for a camelpack is to have the hatch under your knees (but I have not yet tried this out yet).

Personally, I think that having to bunge in a camel pack on your $2000+ ski is pretty stupid. Every surfski maker knows that every time the ski is paddled, a bottle of water is going to be carried with it, so they might as well include a decent way to carry your water bottle.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1420 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: Camelbak on a V10
I've always used the camelbak the way it is designed, on my back. I've used it this way for cycling, canoeing, running and surfski, with no problems. I usually wear it under my PFD. Since getting the Mako 6 I've been using their water bottle and this works well too. I would be worried about anything attached to the deck coming off in waves, particularly if the boat gets taken by surf when coming in to the beach.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1421 by Ritchie Cunningham

Personally, I think that having to bunge in a camel pack on your $2000+ ski is pretty stupid. Every surfski maker knows that every time the ski is paddled, a bottle of water is going to be carried with it, so they might as well include a decent way to carry your water bottle.

Absolutely. I hate camelbaks, but also will not strap anything to my body. Before single footwells, everyone mounted their bottles between the seperate wells. I haven't seen the Mako6 solution, but it sounds trick.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1422 by stuartknaggs
Replied by stuartknaggs on topic Re: Camelbak on a V10
The strap on bags for behind the paddler have been tried in the most severe conditions and they work. I have yet to hear of one that has been fastened properly come off.

Latest Forum Topics