Re: Rudder lines

More
16 years 4 months ago #1481 by [email protected]

Is there a picture of the return to shore elastic somewhere?

There's a shot of the Honcho system in the review at:

www.surfski.info/content/view/433/156/

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1482 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Rudder lines
Have you guys ever experienced having trouble with spectra? The only problem really is having a proper knot to keep it at the right tension. Worst thing is to have your knot loosen. The best knot for spectra (what I found anyway) allaboutknots.blogspot.com/2006/01/selec...trong-hitch-for.html

Steel cables actually dont break right, its the ferrule or clamp that usually loosens up. Advantage of spectra is that you dont need tools.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1483 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: Rudder lines
Sorry if this sounds dumb. But what is spectra?

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 4 months ago #1484 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: Rudder lines
I have just switched boats and I find the nylon lines give a much nicer 'feel' to the rudder pedals. I guess because the nylon is lighter than steel there is less inertia and the input and feedback is much more direct. You can feel the smaller currents working on the rudder through your toes and the rudder action is light and friction free.

Its also nice not to have a rudder box stained orange from rusty ferrules.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1485 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: Rudder lines
We all know you're in love Al, but this is starting to get a bit much. All this gushing... ;D

More
16 years 4 months ago #1486 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Rudder lines

Sorry if this sounds dumb. But what is spectra?

Spectra is a new age fiber weave mostly used in fishing applications. I got mine in the US, $16.5 for around 25 ft, .040 in diameter. Its supposed to have a 400 plus pounds breaking point. Once having it properly tied, it will stretch 1 to 2 cm and that's it.

Think's Evo also uses spectra for its rudder line.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1487 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re: Rudder lines
Spectra in perspective is Honeywell's trade name for a composite material made of UHMW polyethilene. For awhile the woven cloth form was used for building canoes/kayaks- don't know how that worked out. It was not too expensive and today should be comparable to kevlar. It is used also in making body armour. Those manufacturers might be a supply point. Hope this helps.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1488 by txbuckeye
Replied by txbuckeye on topic Re: Rudder lines
Good info. Thanks.

Latest Forum Topics