Re: Garmin e-trex Legend (blue one)

More
16 years 3 months ago #1585 by jsowers
Have and old Etrex which don't use much because now have a 305 for training and 60cs for expedition navigation. You can of course upload and download data. Mine has a serial port which I think is still the case so you'll need either an older pc with a serial port or get a usb to serial adaptor. Garmin lists an adaptor but you can probably get one cheaper from a computer site. I used it for several everglades and costal trips downloading maps, routes, and waypoints from Garmin mapsource software. I think there is an option of large vs small print under the setup. Also you can reduce number of data fields displayed to increase display print size. The one problem area is corrosion at the data port so be sure to rinse with fresh water and consider coating with vasoline or waterproof grease.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1586 by Trilobite
Hi Sean,

I have the ETrex Lengend Cx (color screen) also. In retrospect, I wish I had bought the 205 or 305 for the compact size and HR feature. The Legend is a bit bulky, especially on a ski. I never use the map features or download capability, as I'm Mac based and everything out there is PC compatible. This is perhaps the greatest disappointment, as essentially what I have is the glorified equivalent of a bicycle computer. If you go to the option for displaying four readouts, the display is huge.

As for mounting, I purchased the Garmin marine mount and use the 3M 'reclosable marine mounting system' (like plastic nubbed Velcro), which provides a positive 'locked in' feeling of mounting plate to boat. Since my S1-R has separate footwells, it sits on the center divider about mid calf; easy to reach the buttons, etc., and loop the cord around a footstrap in case it pops off. I can also switch it from ski to EFT with the 3M attached. Only knocked it off once in big conditions, but I do rub against it from time to time.

As noted, seal the battery compartment with plumbers grease or Vaseline. I also used electrical tape around the opening to seal it completely from leakage.

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

More
16 years 3 months ago #1587 by jsowers
Motionbased (Garmin's web based application) is now mostly Mac compatible. Garmin has just released program to convert Garmin maps to Mac format. garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/applemac/index.html However a pc is required for he conversion, it looks to be a bit of a flail, and from what I can tell allows one to upload maps but not waypoints or routes. I use parallels on my Macs to handle Garmin interface.

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
16 years 3 months ago #1588 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re: Garmin e-trex Legend (blue one)
Thank you everybody.
I look forward to trying the GPS out.
I'll use vasoline on the serial port and then tape it to protect it.
Have to figure out the garmin web site to find the software you speak of (I'm with the evil pc crowd)
Will have to wait though as it's ski season here.
Whistler was waist deep and dry today. Waist deep!
Unbelievably beautiful.
Thank you
Sean

Latest Forum Topics