PFD for long, hot paddle

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #15854 by teesbees
Looking a PFD that is:
  • US Coast Guard approved (or that I can use in an ACA race)
  • allows good arm/torso mobility
  • not too hot
  • has large, easy-to-open front pocket
  • might be side-zip to allow pocket
  • maybe has hydro pouch on back

I've read Wesley Echols review and like the MTI Cascade, but no hydration bladder pocket in back. Not a big deal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #15857 by PaddleFaster
Though expensive, my vote is for the Kokatat SeaO2 Hybrid vest.
(Part normal PFD, part inflatable for emergencies.)

I paddled 98 miles (158 km), midday, one week two summers ago, where temps ranged from 92 to 96 degrees Fahrenheit (34 to 36 Celsius?)in dead calm conditions, whilst wearing one.

I have paddled many 20+ mile (32+km)very high temp, stagnant wind days in it.

In my opinion, it's the best all around vest out there. It fits your criteria, except it does not have a hydration pocket.

You can sometimes find them on sale at times for about 25% off during the season.

They are cooler than other vests because they have half of the flotation foam inside them (7lbs), wide arm openings and mesh back and sides.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #15858 by PaddleFaster
Just a note: Attached to the upper right side strap is my ResQLink + Personal Locater Beacon. It's not part of the vest.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #17103 by cjborg
Replied by cjborg on topic Re: PFD for long, hot paddle
This doesn't meet all of your specs, but for the coolest and least intrusive, I use a Mustang Survival manual CO2 inflatable. I paddle in Florida and can forget I have it on, even in summer. It is USCG-approved; no loss of mobility at all; doesn't get in your way during a remount. You can strap a PLB to it and there is a hook for attaching a whistle. The only con is that it might chafe a bit if you don't wear a rash guard. Of course, there's a trade-off . . . minimal means minimal . . . no pocket; no hydro pouch; etc.

www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/md3...ecreation&country=25
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by cjborg.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17104 by jhstevens3
I wear a waterski belt (which I tested to make sure it will keep me afloat) and put my Coast Guard legal vest under a bungie tie strap on the deck behind me.
The ski belt stays around my waist while paddling but rides up to my chest if I am floating. I'm 5'8" 155 lbs.

Latest Forum Topics