Rudder Cap Assembly Repair

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #19009 by shortyakker
This past weekend we had some bad surf, but silly me, I decided to give it a try anyways. I took my V6 out, and the waves just tore me and my boat up.

So, the rudder cap assembly was completely ripped off (see photo). By the time I realized it, I'm pretty sure the little white piece of plastic had already made it's way to Daytona Beach. I spent about 20 minutes looking for it, since the tide was coming in, but no luck. I did find a nice sand dollar, though.

I ordered a new one from Epic, and now I must do my first repairs. I'm thinking I need to scrape off the old glue somehow, sand down the area, then using some marine epoxy I have not yet bought, stick the new assembly on. The worst part is I'll have to leave it alone for 24 hours to let the glue set.

Any suggestions? Recommended epoxy?

Thanks!

shortyakker - out

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by shortyakker. Reason: misspelling... i hate misspellings

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19013 by Kayaker Greg
I wouldn't bother with epoxy, just use some aquaseal/silicon/silastic that you would use in wet areas of the bathroom, it will be usable almost immediately. You won't even need to remove the old epoxy. Did the same to one of my skis when the same thing happened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shortyakker

More
10 years 4 months ago #19015 by Jmuzz
Replied by Jmuzz on topic Rudder Cap Assembly Repair
Is the stuff on there hot melt? Seemed like it might be when I was looking at mine.
I would go with sikaflex marine, it's my go to adhesive and gap sealer for the boats.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #19016 by Simon Haywood
I've done a couple of these on Epics - Currently refurbishing a V10 and replacing the rudder cap assembly - they go brittle with exposure to UV.

A relatively simple procedure - CAREFULLY remove/scrape/grind/sand away old outer from the boat clean area thoroughly (Acetone). I use 'Sika 291' adhesive/sealant to install the new cap assembly (be sure to have the cap screwed into outer for this) it will hold its roundness/shape - also take note to line it up correctly...when dry job done!

There is about 30-40min labour and about AUS$20.00 in materials - hope this helps.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8 MY12, Epic V8 MY13, V10sport, V12,Spirit PRS-VB(valley basher!)Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite

Current Skis: Stellar SR, Stellar SEI, Stellar SE, Stellar S2E - All in Excel

Kayak: Flow Rockstar - Just

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Simon Haywood.

Latest Forum Topics