Bases the choice of paddle

More
10 years 3 months ago #19278 by Nelo Surfski Tahiti
Hi,

What is the difference for the same paddler (1.72m height and 73 kilos) if you paddle with a small wing (example: small medium epic) rule 209 for example and a large wing set to 205 (example: medium epic).
Q'est what will be more stable and faster?
I want to understand the basic differences.
What is the paddle stroke that will adapt to these two extremes?
Quick or slow, long or short?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19283 by Kayaker Greg
Mid wing will definitely be more stable (which is what I used to use in rougher conditions in tippy skis) but not necessarily faster than the small mid (which I preferred when using Epic paddles) and the small mid will be easier to turn over and sprint for waves etc. Your technique does need to be more precise with the small mid to get a good lock so its a good training tool even if you think its too small.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nelo Surfski Tahiti

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #19296 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Bases the choice of paddle
As Greg said. I would also add that, a small wing will usually have shorter blades than a mid wing. You usually want to maintain optimal spacing between your hands on the shaft and between the hand and the blade. This means that if the blade is shorter, the overall length of the paddle will be shorter too. So, when you pick a small wing it might have to be shorter overall than a mid wing. At least that's what I've determined so far based on my brief ownership of a Think Power Wing, which has significantly smaller blades than my Epic mid wing. 208 vs. 212 cm respectively.

I suppose, you could alternatively, lengthen the small wing to have more space between your hand and the blade or possibly less space between your hands. That's because you need less leverage with a smaller paddle, thus increasing your forward reach and minimizing effort by keeping your arms closer together and the upper arm a bit lower than you would with a larger paddle. Meaning, you could modify your stroke to take advantage of the paddle, rather than just use it like a smaller version of a bigger paddle... I have not paddled enough yet with the small Think wing, but so far I seem to like it because it gives me a bit closer catch as it is narrower and it is easier on my body. Needing to be more precise with it is a bonus aid in improving my paddling technique ...
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Kocho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nelo Surfski Tahiti

More
10 years 3 months ago #19306 by GregBarton
There are two ways to change gears with your paddle - one is larger or smaller blades and the other is longer or shorter overall paddle length. Your technique will affect how the different paddles perform.

If you fully bury the blade with both paddles, the 209 Small Mid Wing will have similar resistance to a 205 cm Mid Wing. You'll need to drop your arms a bit and make a conscious effort to fully bury the blade with a shorter paddle. FYI, the blades are nearly identical length on these paddles - it's primarily the width that differentiates the two.

If you don't modify your technique between the paddles, then the shorter Mid Wing will have 2 cm less blade in the water on each side. This will result in lower resistance and require a slightly higher stroke rate to maintain the same speed.

The best paddle for you will be the one that suits your technique while allowing you to fully bury the blades. Paddles are designed to be submerged to the top of the blade - so that should be your goal for efficiency. Or you could choose your paddle depending on what you want to achieve.

If you get tired while paddling and want the option to go to a lower gear, then the Small Mid Wing set at 209 would be a good choice. When you are tired and/or paddling longer distances you could shorten it to 207 or even 205 to give less resistance and allow a consistent stroke rate.

If you want the option to sprint at higher speeds, then the 205 Mid Wing would be a better option. Lengthening the Mid Wing to 207 or 209 cm would give you more power for sprints or shorter races.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nelo Surfski Tahiti, Kocho, Kayaker Greg, Ric, jrmac

Latest Forum Topics