Beginner's Wing Paddle

More
9 years 9 months ago #21086 by Uncle Frosty
I have paddled with a Greenland stick for years and recently started using an Epic Active Touring blade to push my 70 pound British beast. Having seen the light, however, I have an 18' surf ski on order and think I would like to start using a wing paddle. The smallest wing paddles seem to be about 7 sq. inches larger than my touring blade and much larger than then the GPs. My question is, will a faster, lighter ski enable me to use a larger paddle? Is the square inch comparison between a wing and touring blade even relevant? What advice do you have for an experienced kayaker/novice surf skier about his first wing paddle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21087 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Beginner's Wing Paddle
I use my Epic midwing, split shaft, medium flex for both surfski and kayak touring. A very versatile paddle.
I keep it short for the ski (212/213) and extend it for sea kayak use (220).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uncle Frosty

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #21094 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic Beginner's Wing Paddle
I come from a Greenland kayaking background. My preference for touring/expedition paddles are Greenland paddles. However when I race an Epic 18x and V12 I prefer the smaller sized wings.

Size depends on what you are trying to accomplish. My "go-to" wing that I usually reach for is an Epic Small Mid-Wing (205-215cm) for touring and some races. For short races (10 mile and less), I'll often use the Epic Mid-Wing (205-215cm). For longer races (such as the 300 mile WaterTribe races) I like an even smaller blade and use the ONNO Small Endurance Race Wing (18" X 6" blade, 195-205cm).

When learning balance on a ski a larger blade might initially give more confidence. I prefer the smallest blade that gets the job done, and try to leave my ego at the door when choosing a paddle size.

Having said this, paddles are such personal items that you will need to discover what works for you.

Greg Stamer
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by gstamer.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21095 by gwynnd
Replied by gwynnd on topic Paddle Selection Advice
I found the Epic website useful when selecting a wing paddle. B) www.epickayaks.com/product

More
9 years 9 months ago #21096 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Beginner's Wing Paddle
Pretty much agree with what Greg says above, go with an Epic Small Mid 205-215, you will get many miles done on your ski and a sea kayak with this paddle. No reason to go larger unless you are really big and strong and capable of doing really fast paddling over a short distance.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21101 by Chris329a
Replied by Chris329a on topic Beginner's Wing Paddle
I've used mainly eurobaldes and the one I worked up to was the Werner Corryvreken which everyone says you can only use if you are well conditioned. I could paddle the Stealth Splash 550 and Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro over 30 miles with this.

Now I have an Epic V6 and bought an Epic Small/mid wing to compliment it. It feels the same as you don't get the slippage. I have seen very experienced paddlers using the mid wing and tire after 15 miles. My advice is to get the small/mid wing as you can always up your cadence as opposed to struggling if the wind/tide picks up. I wouldn't want a bigger bladed paddle for touring long distances as in the conditions I have been out in I would tire too easily with a bigger blade. It's kind of like peddling a bike in harder gear and having to ride up a hill all of a sudden, you'd rather you were peddling faster than really long laboured ones. Just my thoughts and findings as a convert ;)

More
9 years 9 months ago #21103 by Uncle Frosty
Replied by Uncle Frosty on topic Beginner's Wing Paddle
Thanks for the responses. I am still curious as to whether or not a lighter, faster surf ski will enable me to use a wing paddle larger than the touring blade I use when I paddle my heavy kayaks? Can you even make a blade size comparison between the different blades because of the difference in design and use?

More
9 years 9 months ago #21105 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Beginner's Wing Paddle
Chances are you a using a way too low a cadence with your big heavy kayaks anyway and no you can't really compare, a Wing generally works better as the cadence comes up.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21138 by partymarty
Replied by partymarty on topic Beginner's Wing Paddle
I use a wing with both surf ski and seakayak, however the wing I use in the seakayak is a soloution that's a bit smaller than the epic mid I use on my ski. it's more of a skinnier shape.
I do find that a longer day on the seakayak with the epic paddle feels a bit harder and a good paddle on the ski with the soloution feels underpowered.
None of this is timed or plotted, just my observations.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21154 by Jordan
Replied by Jordan on topic Beginner's Wing Paddle
I agree with greg.
I honestly think it depends on age, strength and conditions on the day.
I use a FENN 5 paddle at the moment and have for the past 4 years of paddling 16-20 years old.
This is a small blade that i find perfect at 212 for long distance races on my fenn elite and then at 210 for spec ski races. It allows a quick cadence for getting on runs or accelerating off the line in a spec ski race.
I find if i use a paddle any bigger i either blow up or the slower cadence doesnt outweigh the extra water you are pulling back.

If you arent trong enough to pull back on a bigger paddle blade then what is the point of using it? its better to use 100% of the small blade then only 60% of the big blade.

Having said that, this winter i have been doing a lot more K1. And for that i use a FENN 4 blade at 218. I struggled at first but got use to it thanks to work in the gym. I tried the FENN 4 at 212 on a surfski in the winter and felt really good and would be using it in the summer. But i got injured so am having to start back on the FENN 5

For best all round wing paddle id go for a mid wing size

Latest Forum Topics