jantex paddle stuck

More
9 years 7 months ago #21704 by Michael Smedley
I have a jantex split shaft paddle that's stuck together (wife decided not to pull it apart for a couple of weeks) and it's fused together now. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21705 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic jantex paddle stuck
Try wrapping the joint with a towel and soak with warm water for awhile. If it's only salt in the joint it shouldn't take too long to loosen.
Hope this helps.
J.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #21707 by [email protected]
I gave Pete Cole at Orka Paddles a shout.

He said that what happens is:
  • the inner and outer carbon shafts rubbing against each other produces carbon dust that sits in the interface between the inner and outer shafts
  • Add salt water that dries and crystallises
  • Now you have something close to bonding paste - and your paddle is jammed solid!

Pete's advice is to use hot water. Try pouring hot water over the joint, and pull the paddle apart without using too much twisting force. If that doesn't work, find a way of leaving the paddle soaking in hot water...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by [email protected]. Reason: typo

More
9 years 7 months ago #21708 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic jantex paddle stuck
A mild acid solution like "CLR" (calcium lime rust remover)
will help dissolve the mineral deposits and salt.

• JamieMc
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #21709 by JamieMc
Replied by JamieMc on topic jantex paddle stuck
Hi Michael, contact me via Elite Paddle Gear and we will get it sorted for you. We had another customers do the same. Joiner had to come off and paddle soaked in a solution to break down the crystallisation. Then new joiner fitted. All part of our service.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21712 by Michael Smedley
Replied by Michael Smedley on topic jantex paddle stuck
Thanks for the responses,

Used a heat gun in the end. Took a couple of short blasts on the collar, but it soon came apart.

Salt caused it to fuse and my wife :) . She finds it difficult to open the lock lever on those cold mornings.

Latest Forum Topics