Fenn 4 vs Carbonology CS3 vs Orka (Super) Flex

More
9 years 7 months ago #21911 by peteski
Hello All

I currently paddle with a Fenn 4 (non-split) fibreglass shaft paddle and I'm quite comfortable with it, but I've never tried anything else, so comparing isn't possible.

I have an option to purchase a hardly used CS3 carbon split shaft at a really good price, but at the same price I can also get a new Orka Flex or Super Flex fibreglass split shaft.

I need a second paddle (as I have 2 skis) and would like to start experimenting with an adjustable shaft, hence the interest in the CS3.

Any wise words from those in the know? I've heard that a carbon shaft can cause injury, should this be a concern?

Fennix Swordfish S - Carbon Hybrid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21912 by Ric
my 2c...

Fenn 4 has a big catch, and I find it super stable when moving it through the water. But you need to be real strong to get a high cadence. Also it is very unforgiving, which I found useful because it taught me a reasonable style.

The Flex has a different feel to it, requiring quite a specific paddling style. I found it relatively easy to move over to, and almost ended up moving to a Flex.

Super Flex I did not paddle, since I was exploring blades smaller than the Fenn 4.

CS3 also not tried.

As for using the carbon shaft - I don't recommend it. It really knocks your wrists, in a surprisingly huge way. The one time I tried a carbon shaft was actually on one of our series races last year, and I really struggled from about 7km in (that's on a 12km race). By the end each stroke hurt my wrists. As for how fast I was pushing myself, it was the same as all the other races where the 12km was easy...

So for me, carbon is a total no go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peteski

More
9 years 7 months ago #21913 by peteski
Thanks Ric, I appreciate the feedback.

I wouldn't consider myself real strong 45 year old, although I certainly have become stronger over the past 5 months of paddling :)

It seems I should definitely be looking at a smaller blade than the Fenn4, which the CS3 is, the carbon shaft might be the deal breaker though.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #21914 by Ric
Pete, I'm not a strong paddler. Cape Town c/d grade.

With that in mind, yes, be very careful with the carbon shaft (in my experience).

Depending on what you want, perhaps give the Fenn 3 a bash as it is basically the same paddle as the 4, just smaller. Very similar feel.

Or Fenn 1, which is similar to the Lettman in theory, but I find it to have a much nicer feel. My fastest Millers Run was set with a borrowed Fenn 1 that I'd only been using a week, so I'd suggest its a nice easy blade to get a lot of fun out of.

But I see you are local so it should be easy to test out different paddles. You don't do the Saturday SSS sessions do you?
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Ric.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21915 by peteski
Thanks Ric. I had the CS3 in my hands at lunchtime, but didn't feel the lighter weight justified the risk of injury.

I haven't done any Saturday SSS sessions yet, I think they fire up again next week? Might give it a go. I usually squeeze my paddling in between family responsibilities :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #21918 by Fath2o
I don't understand how a carbon shaft can cause injury? Can anyone explain that to me?
Thanks, Kirk

More
9 years 7 months ago #21930 by Rookie
Hi
As a quick thought, having paddled with the fenn4 and flex they are both great paddles but as an unfit paddler i cannot see myself paddling long distances with either yet.
The fenn4 is simply great from start to finish - rock solid in the water and a big catch in the beginning. Fantastic catching waves, getting out to backline or for me a short downwind.
The flex is slightly more of a marathon paddle for me. It has the same solid feel in the water but not the same strong catch in the beginning.

If you are in Cape Town head down to Orka and borrow their flex and see what you think.

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
9 years 7 months ago #21932 by peteski
Thanks, I used the Orka demo Inner last night, but it was too different to the Fenn 4. I'll try the Flex next.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21934 by Ric

Fath2o wrote: I don't understand how a carbon shaft can cause injury? Can anyone explain that to me?

Hi, Kirk,

Let me preface this by saying that I didn't believe any of this at first - it made no sense to me until that race I mentioned.

So a carbon shaft is stiffer, has no give in the water and on the catch. A glass shaft, even though it feels very stiff, has miniscule movements and bends ever so slightly on the catch.

so what?

Well that slight bend acts as a shock absorber, taking up a bit of the pulse and preventing it from hitting your wrists when you put the blade in the water. Wrists don't really have any shock absorbtion, especially not in the direction of force of paddling.

So with a carbon shaft, every stroke you take, and every bit of rough water, puts a small extra shock into your wrists that the glass shaft would smooth out. All these extra knocks add up much quicker than I thought they would.

The context of my Black Marlin race last year - I was the strongest C / D grade paddler I've ever been. I had been training all year for the Cape Point Challenge, which was just around the corner. More importantly for this story, I knew who I wanted to beat each race, and who wanted to beat me - a few years of ragging each other on every race and we all know our pecking order.

And it was 12km, the distance of every series race, in nice water with a great downwind section. I had figured out what pace I needed to finish strong on these races.

Well, 7km in and my wrists were getting quite sore. The last 3km stretch back to the finish and every stroke hurt. Although not as much as it hurt getting passed by many of the guys and girls I normally beat... ;-)

But like I said, I didn't believe it at first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
9 years 7 months ago #21935 by Ric

peteski wrote: I used the Orka demo Inner last night, but it was too different to the Fenn 4.

Pete, just a thought, is it too different for a good price?

I have a very good condition 213cm split shaft Inner which you can have for R500. But I agree with you, it is very different, and no matter how popular a blade it is around these parts, it has never worked for me either.

You didn't really say what you wanted out of your new blade. What are you looking for that the Fenn 4 doesn't give you? Or (just like me) are you enjoying the chance to just look around...?

More
9 years 7 months ago #21936 by peteski
Wow, a very tempting offer :)

I guess it is very difficult to draw conclusions from a 20 min paddle, but the Inner just didn't feel right. It might have been a setup issue though. I have a tennis racquet grip on my Fenn4, so this also might have skewed the results.

Basically I'm very happy with the Fenn4, but I need a second paddle so that I can take my wife along on the Horizon. I figured it's a good time to experiment with different options, as I haven't tried anything else (since my SET and Lettmann II paddles 10 years ago).

I thought something slightly smaller than the Fenn4 would be a nice alternative paddle for longer distances. I also would like to experiment with different feather angles and lengths.I guess a Fenn3 or equivalent is the answer.

More
9 years 7 months ago #21937 by AR_convert
I am a big fan of the CS3 having had one for over 4 years and it is still my "go too" paddle for most races.

It gives a strong catch and excellent stability hence why I like it for ocean and flat water racing when I know that the chop will be hectic in the first few hundred metres of the start.

On the flip side it does take a bit of grunt to move it through the water fast. For this reason I have started using the CS4 for a lot of my flat water training and racing where I know t will remain fairly flat through the race as it's profile is easier on my shoulders but I am able to maintain the same race speed.

I have the CS3 at about 212cm for ocean and 213.5cm for K1 on flat water and have a race speed of about 12.5-12.8 and I am 190cm tall if that helps.

The CS4 I can run at 215 for flat water as the catch isnt as BIG as the CS3 but you get good GRIP on the pull through. (Dont know if they are the right terms?)

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rookie, peteski

More
9 years 7 months ago #21938 by Ric

peteski wrote: I need a second paddle so that I can take my wife along on the Horizon.

Your wife who doesn't really paddle much... perhaps?

Look if its just something to get her out on the water, I also have an older, slightly bashed, smaller bladed paddle. Was my first season's paddle and is still fine for light use. Come borrow it, and go for a few paddles with her (and perhaps us). Just to get out on the water while it still looks like it does today.

If it serves its purpose, keep it and give me R100 beer money (craft beer at that price, probably Devils Peak IPA). Otherwise just give it back.

Meantime you continue your search for your next "perfect" paddle, without the cost factor.

Get me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Case closed ?

More
9 years 7 months ago #21939 by peteski
That's very kind, thanks Ric. I'll send you an email.

Latest Forum Topics