Carrying a rented surfski on a rented car

More
8 years 9 months ago #24056 by ptomblin
I'm going to the Canadian Surfski Champs and I'll need to move a rented surfski around on a rented car from Vancouver to Squamish and back. Looking for a solution that won't take up half my carry-on bag.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #24057 by ccchappell
Hi Paul,
Two years ago at the US Surfski Champs in San Fran got into a bind and needed to transport a few boats. I ended up renting a Nissan Xterra, and got two 5 foot 2x4s that I strapped to the factory rails of the Nissan. Then strapped the skis to the 2x4s. Worked great. The Xterra I think was a Hertz or Avis, but it was tough finding a rental company that would allow me to reserve a car that had some beefy factory rails. Basically had to grab it when I got there.

Have fun at the race!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ptomblin

More
8 years 9 months ago #24060 by Fuyang Guy
Could well be worth investing in a set of these.
I have tied a boat onto a set, and they looked solid (was not in the car for the drive)

harplaneptyltd.businesscatalyst.com/roof...traveller-soft-racks

More
8 years 9 months ago #24062 by jagter
I've got a set of those soft racks.

Works like a charm. you just need to tie down the back of the boat to the tow bar, or the front to something on the front of the car. Otherwise you get quite a serious seesaw effect when going over bumps.

Folds down to about the size of half a shoe box.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #24069 by Hiro
Use anything soft, like foam or pillows or swiming "noodles", between the ski and roof of the car, and tie it with two long straps around the ski and trough the windows... works fine.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Hiro.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ptomblin

More
8 years 9 months ago #24077 by ptomblin
I like the pool noodle idea because they're cheap enough to buy them there and leave them when I'm done.

Latest Forum Topics