water inside the surfski

More
8 years 7 months ago #24471 by percularis
Hi everyone,

I am a total beginner. so I hope my question is not too foolish.
I have just recently bought my first surfski which is already used and a bit damaged. but it still works.

However while testing it, i've forgotten to put the plug in its place and fell of course into the water. consequently there is still some water inside of it. I have heard that water remaining inside it is not the best, is it? but how can I remove it completely? By turning it upside down I have already removed quite a lot, but there is still about a litre or two inside of it. Does this matter?

i hope there is somebody who can help me ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24475 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic water inside the surfski
Having a liter or two of water is not good, but the water will not hurt your boat. Get all the water out best you can. You should be able to get all but a tablespoon or two out of the drain hole by manipulating the ski on saw horses so the water runs to the drain. Set it in the sun for a day or two upright with the plug out to dry out. Repair any leaks/damage. I'm sure there are many other opinions.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24477 by chappy
Replied by chappy on topic water inside the surfski
I would remove it from the inside of the ski as soon as possible. Depending on the construction, the inner layer of the ski may absorb water and consequently your surfski may become permanently heavier.

I would attempt to empty the ski, then leave to rest for 5min so that the water flows out of cracks etc. and try agin. I would repeat this many times until, as mentioned before, you only have a few drops left.

Another tip is, when you transport your boat on your car roof, to fasten it to the carrier racks upside-down and leave the bung hole unplugged. Going over bumps, hills etc. Will hep remove all water.

Craig

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24478 by Kayaker Greg
Chappy is right, water inside the ski is no good and exposed Kevlar will absorb the water and the boat will become heavier, if its salt water the inside of the ski will never dry out as salt absorbs moisture from the air.
Best thing to do if its salt water is to rinse it out as best as you can a few times with fresh water and a little detergent, rinse it until in your own mind you have removed all traces of salt, then place it in the sun and dry it out, repair any leaks. I would only put a few liters of water in at a time, move the ski around back and forward upside down etc to get all the nooks and crannys.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24479 by Flowmaster
Replied by Flowmaster on topic water inside the surfski
From what I know, kevlar doesn't absorb water, like it doesn't absorb resin when you glass it, not even the high temperature high vicosity resin. The resin stays around the fibers, wich is noticable when working the material afterwards.
Flushing the boat clean from salt as described is needed, maybe not rightaway, but I would.
I've seen a second and smaller hole with a ventyl mounted under the steering cap. The reason he told me, was, connecting an air presure pomp to the ventyl en removing the front plug.
The presure pomp, electrical inflatable air pump for a SUP, was enough the create an airflow inside and dry out his boat completely.

...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......
JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS

Latest Forum Topics