Night paddling lighting

More
8 years 6 months ago #24760 by gallagherwilson
New member here, been paddling for about 10 months, and recently had a literal run in with a rowing shell in the pre-dawn light. All is fine, but it has me rethinking my lighting situation. I currently use a stick LED stern light and a headlamp for forward facing light. I paddle mostly in the dark during the winter months, so adequate lighting is a must. Anybody have good LED lighting that is suction or velcro mountable and waterproof, preferably with a strobing function?

Current boat: Epic V12 Ultra lay-up
Old boat: Think Evo II

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #24765 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Night paddling lighting
Strobes are emergence lighting only in the US. These are what most people seem to use around here (Seattle) tinyurl.com/qzfhlhn.

After getting hit from behind twice, I now paddle the 'wrong way' so I can see the rowers and avoid them. I have been yelled at but after explaining why I do this they said go for it.

A white light on my hat and the one above on the stern has worked so far.

See you on the water

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
8 years 6 months ago #24766 by gallagherwilson
Thanks Bill.

Yes, that's the same light I was using when hit. I may just have to start doing the wrong direction thing as well. Pretty unnerving being taking out by a 4 man shell with about 3 seconds of warning.

Current boat: Epic V12 Ultra lay-up
Old boat: Think Evo II

More
8 years 6 months ago #24777 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Night paddling lighting
With you there, nearly skewered years ago by a sculler in the river in the dark years ago, neither of us with lights.

Have both of these below, the second one the better of the two with more features. This one outstanding bang for buck too.

270mm high - www.anacondastores.com/fishing/fishing-t...k-light/p/BP90035302

170 mm high - www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/ca...k-light/p/BP90066918

I have one of these on the deck behind me, leashed to the back deck elastic, which still leaves small quadrant in front of body unlit for vessel coming directly at you at water level - bigger boats can see over the top of you or around you from time-to-time from a distance. As I find any light in front of me, either on or in my boat, visually distracting, best front option for me is an adventure light clipped onto peak of my cap. (www.adventurelights.com/outdoors/product...d=37&ccid=84&S=0&O=5).

I do find these adventure lights a bit of a pain to turn on and off sometimes, difficult to twist. Occasionally when twisted off they randomly have come on in the car and I find them flashing away to themselves or each other, fun for them maybe but eventually dead lights for me. The Road ID lights are much the same (waterproof etc) and cheaper - see www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=HighViz

Latest Forum Topics