GPS Watch- Creative mounts to footstrap?

More
6 years 1 month ago #30920 by davgdavg
So, I finally got a GPS watch (Polar V800) and would like to mount it on my footstrap, but it is a bit more loose than I would like.

I know I can just put some tape or something there to increase the diameter, but was wondering if anyone had any creative/good ideas.

I also have my leash attached there (no chance of changing it for the time being), so keep that in mind.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30922 by nwsurfskier
I cut a piece of tubular pipe insulation two inches long and put it around the footstrap. When the watch is buckled to the insulation it stays secure
The following user(s) said Thank You: davgdavg

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #30931 by Kiwi Dave
I've made several of these GPS mounts which go onto the back of the footplate. My Garmin has a quick release fitting but you could also make a 'fake wrist' with two slots and a piece of foam for any regular watch.

If it looks of interest I can let you know how to make one ... pretty straight forward and a great first composite project.

Edit: Can't seem to upload an image so you can check it here: www.dropbox.com/s/xvysyql2xscshr9/IMG_8759.JPG?dl=0
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Kiwi Dave.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30934 by WingSuit
Ocean Paddlesports carries a neoprene/Velcro footstrap cover designed to stiffen and cushion the foot straps so that they are easier to slide your feet in them. It wraps around the footstrap and secures with Velcro. Works well with a Garmin watch. Inexpensive too.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30944 by davgdavg

Kiwi Dave wrote: I've made several of these GPS mounts which go onto the back of the footplate. My Garmin has a quick release fitting but you could also make a 'fake wrist' with two slots and a piece of foam for any regular watch.

If it looks of interest I can let you know how to make one ... pretty straight forward and a great first composite project.

Edit: Can't seem to upload an image so you can check it here: www.dropbox.com/s/xvysyql2xscshr9/IMG_8759.JPG?dl=0

That looks suuuupper slick. I would love to see how you made one, even though I won't be putting it on my ski. I am in the surf almost every day (I just had the carbon rear rudder yoke cover get torn off my ski when I got turned backwards in some big-ish shorebreak. Still not sure how, but oh well) so I don't want to risk the same with a GPS.

I've found a few jerry rigged solutions that are working for now. Once I decide which one is the favorite I will try to do something more elegant with it.

More
6 years 1 month ago #30949 by Kiwi Dave
Here is the process in pictures ... it's as strong as the amount of composite you want to put into it really as the area glued onto the foot plate is fairly substantial.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.101531...&type=1&l=f92ebed80c

More
6 years 1 month ago #30952 by davgdavg
Cool, looks like a fun project. I would have thought you made a foam mold and vacuum bagged it. Did you have to use a release agent, or what is the orange stuff?

More
6 years 1 month ago #30961 by Kiwi Dave
I would love to have such technology at my disposal ;) The pink looking plastic is my release film so its a nice tidy thing to work with also ... the orange is just coloured resin and glass put onto the face of the tool halves to give it some strength and smooth finish.

Latest Forum Topics