Surfski Drysuit?

More
3 years 6 months ago #37391 by Kent
Replied by Kent on topic Surfski Drysuit?
Maybe I’m odd, but I think of paddling as an in-water athletic activity and I expect to get sweaty and wet any time of year.  My shorts and shirt are sweaty and wet when I finish paddling in the summer.  In the winter the base layer shirt inside my Gore-Tex drysuit gets sweaty, but overall, I remain pretty comfortable.  People complain about the latex necks on some drysuits, but the neck of my Kokatat suit is tapered and can be trimmed for a looser/comfortable fit.  If I take a serious dunking, a little water slips in with a looser fit, but I think it’s as dry as the newer neoprene necks and not as hot.  Just one old man’s opinion, but it helps me keep smiling through the winter. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selkie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37392 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Surfski Drysuit?
I agree with above. You are never quite dry in a suit due to sweat so a tiny water entry is not a big deal. It gets absorbed into your layers and makes little difference. As long as you are not taking on major amounts so the water sloshes in your socks.
I had small punctures in 2 degree water that I barely noticed.
Everybody I know takes their suits to repair leaks at the end of the cold season.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37393 by Selkie
Aquatherm basic paddle suit. No kayak skirt for cold/ wet winter days.
www.chillcheater.com/paddlesuits/aquathe...ull-paddle-suit-6270 

Aquatherm Dry Trousers - I wear this for long days in the bucket. If warmish I will wear just a rashy or a microfleece. A Reed cag if it gets wild. I have socks fitted and a thin wetsuit shoe to feel still feel the peddles. 
www.chillcheater.com/trousers/aquatherm-dry-trousers

Reed should do something about their images as they look much better in the flesh. 
They also allow customisistion in colours, fit, seals etc. Very good prices and excellent service. I would not wear these for a race or a shortish fitness blast. I have paddled at pace over long distance 50 miles plus fast enough to set records and never felt too hot. Naturally you do need to wear the right kit underneath. Because these are thin, stretchy with a very fine fleece liner I can get away with running short and wicking tee. I do not get wet inside. 

I do tour on skis, exploring, photography, wildlife etc. The trouser gives at least the same protection as sitting in a sea kayak. In fact, from my experience all sea kayak cockpits let in some water, so I would say this option gives a drier ride. I realise that most ski paddlers on here are into fitness and racing only and could get away with get wet as long as they don't hang around off the water. For those in colder climates and waters, these would make it more comfortable.

Also consider there non dry aquaterm trouser and tops. They will act like as stretchy thin wetsuit, but with the added bonus over everything else I have tried in that they are wind proof and the water just runs off the smooth surface. They dry much faster than wetsuits and other ski clothing. 

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021

More
3 years 6 months ago #37394 by Selkie
Aquatherm basic paddle suit. No kayak skirt for cold/ wet winter days.
www.chillcheater.com/paddlesuits/aquathe...ull-paddle-suit-6270 

Aquatherm Dry Trousers - I wear this for long days in the bucket. If warmish I will wear just a rashy or a microfleece. A Reed cag if it gets wild. I have socks fitted and a thin wetsuit shoe to feel still feel the peddles. 
www.chillcheater.com/trousers/aquatherm-dry-trousers

Reed should do something about their images as they look much better in the flesh. 
They also allow customisistion in colours, fit, seals etc. Very good prices and excellent service. I would not wear these for a race or a shortish fitness blast. I have paddled at pace over long distance 50 miles plus fast enough to set records and never felt too hot. Naturally you do need to wear the right kit underneath. Because these are thin, stretchy with a very fine fleece liner I can get away with running short and wicking tee. I do not get wet inside. 

I do tour on skis, exploring, photography, wildlife etc. The trouser gives at least the same protection as sitting in a sea kayak. In fact, from my experience all sea kayak cockpits let in some water, so I would say this option gives a drier ride. I realise that most ski paddlers on here are into fitness and racing only and could get away with get wet as long as they don't hang around off the water. For those in colder climates and waters, these would make it more comfortable.

Also consider there non dry aquaterm trouser and tops. They will act like as stretchy thin wetsuit, but with the added bonus over everything else I have tried in that they are wind proof and the water just runs off the smooth surface. They dry much faster than wetsuits and other ski clothing. 

Surfski Kayak on Facebook
www.facebook.com/groups/395803743862021

Latest Forum Topics