Which 2nd hand GPS watch

More
4 years 11 months ago #34093 by Eddie84
Hi there,
I'm looking to buy my first GPS watch and would like to buy a second hand or an older one. I would like to use it for both longer sessions, time trials and interval training. It would be great if it gave an accurate real time speed read out too, although I can live with a delay.

I'm luck enough to be able to train on both flat water (tidal channel) and on the sea. In winter I often train in the dark. My sessions usually last 45minutes - 90 minutes.

I know that there are lots of threads on the topic of 'which watch' and I have trawled through several, but I am still a little lost. What I am after here is just any quick recommendations that people have about the older watches that may be suitable. As I am a technological Luddite, I do not have a smart phone, so I am not worried about being able to sync it or run it with apps.

Models that seem to be mentioned that I have seen available second had are Garmin forerunner 310XT, 910XT and 920XT. My budget is reasonably small.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Having never owned or trained with one on my ski I am possibly not aware of all the features that I would like etc. Thanks in advance. Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #34094 by [email protected]
I've been using the Garmin Forerunners for ever - starting off with the 201 I think.  The early versions were very delicate and I went through a number of them, but the later models like the 910XT (which I have now) and the 920XT, used by several buddies, seem to be fairly robust.

I use the 910XT with a Vaaka cadence sensor (although you have to switch the Garmin to cycling mode in order for it to work).  

The advantage of the 920XT is that it'll talk directly to your phone so that you can instantly upload your tracks.  I upload to the online Garmin Connect system, but here in SA many of us use Strava to share and compare our training.  The cool thing about Strava is that you can play both your track and anyone who paddled with you so you can "re-run" your dices.

So, I would go for the 920XT.

Have fun!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
4 years 11 months ago #34096 by feeny
Replied by feeny on topic Which 2nd hand GPS watch
Suunto Ambit3 (or Ambit2) is pretty indestructible and has a great battery life. Also compatible with cadence sensors etc.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #34106 by SpaceSputnik
I am using second-hand Forunners. The first one was a 110. It was cheap and generally fine, but the screen doesn't work anymore (if anyone has an idea how to fix it...). Now I use a 25 which a much newer model, not as much of a tank, has larger screen and quicker satellite acquisition. Still a pretty basic unit. It does pair with a heart monitor strap and has a few unnecessary bells and whistles that I ignore. Both upload to Connect and Strava, 110 through a USB cable and a computer and 25 with USB or bluetooth and phone (I prefer USB though and keep bluetooth turned off)

I believe both should be good for 8 hours of continued tracking, both appear to swim well and sort of visible from the foot strap.
I would be leery of a fancier unit since stuff happens and I would like to be able to easily replace it if I lose it or it gets damaged.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
4 years 11 months ago #34115 by Eddie84
Replied by Eddie84 on topic Which 2nd hand GPS watch
Kia Ora guys,
Thanks very much for taking the time to give me some advice. As it happens a reasonably cheap 310XT came up with a heart rate monitor and I have gone for that. If/when it dies I'll definitely look for one of the watches recommended here. Thanks again.

Latest Forum Topics