Mounting a Garmin Edge 530 or Wahoo Elemnt to Foot Strap

• wruthrauff
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #35392 by wruthrauff
I'm looking to get a cycling GPS for cycling, and would like to also use it on my ski.  Has anyone found a robust way to mount one of these GPSs to the foot strap? Please describe!  If it was a watch, it would be easy to wrap the band around the strap.

Also, any feedback on using one of these cycling oriented GPSs for paddling?  Thanks,

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #35393 by tve
I use an Edge 130:  www.surfski.info/forum/17-equipment/1958...ics-bliss.html#34539
Option 1: buy a Nelo surfski and rig an adapter to the built-in GoPro mount ;-)
Option 2: use the rubber-band mount that comes with the Edge
I assume the Edge 530 has a touchscreen? If so, make sure it will work & not interfere when wet...

More
4 years 5 months ago #35394 by Helldiver
I'm using Wahoo Elemnt both for cycling and paddling, it's working very well - it doesn't have touch-screen.
My ski is Nelo 520, so I just designed and 3D printed adapter which has click-circular mount on one side and go-pro mount on the other side. 
It's printed using the ColorFabb CF-XT20 filament (Carbon fiber reinforced co-polymer)  in 2 parts which are then glued+screwed together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wruthrauff

More
4 years 5 months ago #35397 by SpaceSputnik
My issue mounting anything larger than a GPS watch on a strap is lack of rigidity. I don't like Nelo's rigid straps and the soft straps I like flop down easily. I think Wesley mentioned here and there on his site some sort of stiffer custom strap that holds heavier objects well.

More
4 years 5 months ago #35398 by Cryder
I use a neoprene strap cover for a few reasons;

1: far less chaffing when I paddle barefoot
2: far easier to remount if my feet don't have to chase the strap
3: more strength for pulling hard w/ leg drive
4: easy to strap on my Garmin wrist watch GPS.

I make my own, each one takes 20 minutes with a sewing machine. I use a 3 mil neoprene and industrial velcro (2" x 12"). 

More
4 years 5 months ago #35399 by SpaceSputnik

Cryder wrote: I use a neoprene strap cover for a few reasons;

I make my own, each one takes 20 minutes with a sewing machine. I use a 3 mil neoprene and industrial velcro (2" x 12"). 

Do you think it would take the weight of a Garmin eTrex? I wish I could have it in my line of sight all the time instead of on my pfd.
Also can you post a picture?

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #35400 by Cryder

SpaceSputnik wrote:

Cryder wrote: I use a neoprene strap cover for a few reasons;

Do you think it would take the weight of a Garmin eTrex? I wish I could have it in my line of sight all the time instead of on my pfd.
Also can you post a picture?

From what I can tell the the Etrex is 5 oz and 4 x 2", so that should be easily accommodated. The upside to 3 mil neoprene is that it's quite stiff when wrapped around the foot strap. I'll take a quick pick of the strap tonight and post it up. 
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Cryder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wruthrauff

More
4 years 5 months ago #35401 by Cryder
Pic is a little bit dark, but this is what I could find. 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wruthrauff, SpaceSputnik

More
4 years 5 months ago #35402 by waverider
So the neoprene is like a sleeve that slips over the existing footstrap? If so does it make it difficult to adjust the strap?

More
4 years 5 months ago #35403 by waverider
On a  related topic, I have been training in a K1 and wondering where to mount my GPS watch, ended up using the calf strap from my ski leash (leash not used in a k1). Works quite well as alternative to footstrap mounting. You are not remounting K1's so not an issue of being vulnerable when remounting as it may be on a ski. Much easier to reach on a tippy boat too
The following user(s) said Thank You: wruthrauff, SpaceSputnik

More
4 years 5 months ago #35404 by SpaceSputnik
Watch on the leash strap is a very interesting idea.
On my watch I replaced the strap with 2 pieces of velcro. I don't see losing it in the event of a swim.
This placement would make it easier to swipe away water droplets and switch displays. Thank you for the idea.

More
4 years 5 months ago #35405 by waverider

SpaceSputnik wrote: Watch on the leash strap is a very interesting idea.
On my watch I replaced the strap with 2 pieces of velcro. I don't see losing it in the event of a swim.
This placement would make it easier to swipe away water droplets and switch displays. Thank you for the idea.

I guess if you have replaced the strap with velcro it will sit flat, so not getting banged around the same when remounted, but angle of viewing may not be good. With a strap you can rotate it to face you but its not flat against your leg and hence it can get in the way a bit during a remount on a ski. Very handy for wiping face and making adjustments, as you mention. I dont think leg drive motion has any significant impact on measurements.

• wruthrauff
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #35406 by wruthrauff
Thanks for this suggestion. I've been using a Garmin Forerunner 220 just as you've shown in the picture.  It works fine that way on my Epic foot strap.  But that GPS is a cheapie model and doesn't work with my HRM - hence I'm considering upgrading to a different GPS.

The issue is that the cycling computers like the Edge 530 or Wahoo Bolt don't have a wrist strap - so they don't easily wrap around the foot strap.  So, I need to find a way to mount one to the foot strap (and thanks for the ideas!).  I may try the O-ring kit that is available with the Edge 530.    

More
4 years 5 months ago #35410 by Wiid
Foretrex 601 MIL-STD-810G Waterproof and has a nice big screen you can see. Velco watch strap. Its cheap too.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #38243 by DenSki
Hi there,

Did you ever find a way to secure a Wahoo device to your footplate or boat? I am curious about the same thing. Not loving a watchface and would like something bigger. Thanks for any updates.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #38244 by DenSki
Hi,
This is an old thread now, so maybe you can tell me how durable your setup has been and if the Wahoo Elemnt has done well in the water? Do you put it in a waterproof case? Or is it exposed on your boat?
Thanks!
Denise

• wruthrauff
  • Visitor
3 years 3 weeks ago #38245 by wruthrauff
I bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, and used the extra mounting disk that is supplied with it to mount it to my foot strap.  I used o-rings wrapping around the foot strap to hold it in place. I also added a cable tie in case the o-rings broke.  As a whole, it worked sufficiently well.  It sagged on the footstrap some, but I could still see it okay.  
One of the things I was concerned about was water intrusion into the Bolt.  The cover over the little USB port feels secure if I made an effort to fully seat the cover, but I wasn't confident that it would survive every immersion.  So, I ended up buying a Suunto watch and wrapping it around the footstrap.  I'm happy with the Suunto device.  
Now, I only use the Wahoo for cycling. I love it for that purpose.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #38246 by Helldiver
I'm using 3d printed quarter turn adapter to mount my Wahoo Elemnt.
The adapter is secured to original Nelo smartphone mount on the rigid footstrap - swapping Elemnt from bike to surf-ski and back is super easy, just turn it 1/4 and release/secure.
I share one Elemnt device between my road bike, mountain bike and surf-ski and never had a problem.
The adapter is printed with Colorfabb XT-CF20 carbon reinforced filament.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #38247 by DenSki
Thanks. Any chance you would be willing to share the CAD file (not sure about the lingo, but I have friends who can help) so I could create one for myself? Or, would some kind of GoPro mount work? I suppose you would have already tried that if it seemed likely. And about water on the Elemnt: no problems with splashes, spills, and/or salt water?
Thanks,
Denise

• wruthrauff
  • Visitor
3 years 3 weeks ago #38248 by wruthrauff
As far as the Wahoo Elemnt device getting wet and splashed, it should be good.  Its rated for IPX7, which means it should withstand submersion of 1m for 30 minutes.  That would cover any surfski use.  In my case, I did not feel comfortable that the cover over the plug would stay in place, so I relegated the Wahoo to only cycling use, and bought a waterproof GPS watch for the boat.  Good luck. 

Latest Forum Topics