Do i really need a wing paddle?

More
4 years 1 month ago #36006 by paddlepop71
OK so i need to get a cheapie paddle until my new one arrives from SA. I didnt realise wing paddles are so expensive!
What can i get in the interim that might work? A normal kayak paddle? Im only doing surf lifesaving skiing so no white water or stuff like that. I was thinking this:
www.ruksport.com/products.asp?mcatID=1&s...&s2catID=1&prodID=38

It seems to have the option to change the feather. Is there somethiing else out there that dosent cost the earth??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #36007 by mickeyA
what paddle do you currently use?  you have to have a wing paddle if you want to get the most out of any surfski.  If you no longer have access to what you have been using, it should not take long to receive your new wing paddle from SA,  so i would not sweat what you will do for the next week or so.  If you have to have something, can you borrow a paddle?  I assume you have considered all of this and still want/need a stopgap, very temporary, cheap paddle.  The one you linked will propel you, but extremely basic.  Will not act anything like your wing will when it arrives.  A surfski pro would call that nearly worthless, but it will move you forward.  215cm will probably be longer that how you set your wing, but ok.  It will adjust to 60 degrees, which may be close to what you set on your wing.  There are plenty of good non-wing paddles, Werner being high end (too expensive for your needs) or Carlisle being mid pack (Magic model = $80 usd), that are higher quality than your link, but since they are not wings, you still will not get the most out of your ski.  Assuming your link is $20-30 usd, go for it.  But i would treat that paddle as an absolute last resort, got to get on the water, nobody has a beat up wing (or other) i can borrow,totally temporary option.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon
The following user(s) said Thank You: paddlepop71

More
4 years 1 month ago #36008 by Epicpaddler
You don't "need" a wing paddle, but it certainly makes paddling a surfski more efficient. I used my Greenland paddle while I was recovering from a torn rotator cuff. It worked surprisingly well as long as I wasn't hoping for top speed. You could probably make one for about $20.  I started using a wing paddle before I switched from sea kayaks to surfski's. The wing acts like an airfoil which propels the boat forward unlike a traditional paddle which kind of just pushes water out of the way. Hopefully your paddle arrives soon.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #36009 by mrcharly
A) Are you racing?
If yes, you need a wing paddle.
B ) Do you want to go as fast as possible, or cover as much distance as you can in a day?
If yes, you need a wing paddle.
Are you wanting to play in surf and waves, but not interested in A or B?
You do not need a wing paddle.

Wing paddles are superior for straight-forward speed, but inferior for boat control. They make it much harder to perform many of the more sophisticated boat control strokes (there is a reason why slalom paddlers don't use them).
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by mrcharly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: paddlepop

More
4 years 1 month ago #36010 by waverider
see if you can pick up a secondhand one somewhere

More
4 years 1 month ago #36011 by Arcturus
You can propel a ski with a Euro blade. I brought my own Werner Shuna to use on two of the four times I tried skis. But when I later bought a ski I also bought a wing paddle because to do otherwise seems like wasting potential speed.

The ski responds so quickly that the sharper bite of the wing just feelslike a natural fit. This might be a little like riding a high-performance road bike when wearing sneakers instead of stiff-soled, cleated cycling shoes. You’ll still move the bike but without the possible efficiency, and it will feel a bit mushy.

More
4 years 1 month ago #36043 by paddlepop71
Thanks guys. Apparently my paddle will be arriving in the next few weeks so will just sit tight!

Latest Forum Topics