Paddle shaft sections seized

More
3 years 6 months ago #37376 by KimJ
Hi crew,

I've recently inherited a carbon fibre adjustable paddle (came with purchase of 2nd hand ski) and upon trying to adjust it for my length and feather angle, found the sections of the shaft are seized together.

I'm looking for tips and tricks to un-seize the sections. 

Thanks in advance

Kim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37380 by mickeyA
If it is an older epic paddle with plastic twist adjuster, ice it.  Wrap adjuster in ice, let it shrink, then untwist.  If adjuster is metal and corroded, maybe try wd40, or other cleaner/lubricant.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
3 years 6 months ago #37405 by KimJ
Replied by KimJ on topic Paddle shaft sections seized
Thanks MickeyA

I actually think it is the sections of carbon shaft that have seized. I'm expecting salt or silt caught between sections.

The paddle is an old Carbonology Sport and the ferrule is a metal level lock type.  With the screw removed, I can open the lock section with an screwdriver, so that part is not seized.

I have tried WD-40 between sections, tried heating the outer section with hot water... even tried knocking it 'gently' with a hammer and drift and managed to move it about half a centimetre, but that will be a slow process and I'm concerned about damaging the ferrule or shafts.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37421 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Paddle shaft sections seized
Suggest you try soaking the affected area in a mild acid solution like white vinegar, CLR, etc.
This will dissolve mineral deposits binding the shaft. Lubricants rarely solve this type of problem.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37445 by paddlepop71
Did you get sorted?
My paddle was seized  and I tried everything. Ice, soaking in water, in the end I got the hairdryer and eventually it loosened.  Hope you fix it!

Latest Forum Topics