Wave Deflector Position

More
1 year 10 months ago #39827 by pjjacob
I recently got a new NK 580 Squall and bought the wave deflector made by NK as well. The shape of the top deck matches the curve of the wave deflector best at a point where the front if the wave deflector is about 1 meter from the bow of the ski. This seems farther forward than wave deflectors I've seen on other boats and it got me wondering if there's actually a best position for these, or just put them wherever they fit. I haven't been in conditions steep enough to actually need it yet, and I don't know how well I can make it stay in any other position, so for now it's a hypothetical question. Any ideas?

Thanks,
PJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #39829 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Wave Deflector Position
Congrats on the NK. Looks like a great ski.

Most folks put their wave deflectors about a foot or so forward from the cockpit. Everyone I've seen just taped them on, so if you don't like it you can move it wherever it works best.

I've thought about getting one for my v10, but most of the water coming in on my boat comes over the low side rails.

More
1 year 10 months ago #39830 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Wave Deflector Position
I paddle a low volume ski and am usually in rough water. I always use a wave deflector and have done so for years.
I have found the best position is as close as I can get it to the cockpit without hitting it with my paddle. It takes a bit of experimentation. I just tape it down so I can remove it easily if I need to transport the ski long distances.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

Latest Forum Topics