Re: Paddle: Round vs Oval shaft

More
15 years 9 months ago #2225 by kaihoe
Basically horses for courses i think...i had the round shaft first (6years)and didn't find it a problem at all. Then i bought an Epic Mid Wing (oval shaft) and found a huge difference, i much prefer the oval shaft of the Mid wing, to me it fits in the hand and grips much better than the round shaft. Of course i've met others who prefer round shaft paddles but its a matter of trying before you buy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nell
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago #2226 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: Paddle: Round vs Oval shaft
I think that it's comfort, plus the oval shaft gives you a way to index the paddle. I started with round, then found the Epic oval much nicer. A few years later, I tried the round again and found it much nicer than the oval - so there's no right answer for any particular paddler. It's probably like boat color.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2227 by superted
I've seen a few pictures of paddlers with round shafts with packing that kinda turn them into psuedo oval shafts anyway, i never asked if it was to try and make it an oval or just for indexing purposes only.

The main reason im asking is there appears to be a bigger selection of paddles that come with a round shaft and was thinking that maybe a thicker round shaft may also help with numb hands. I use a Epic mid wing atm but havent tried a round shafted paddle.

• nell
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago #2228 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: Paddle: Round vs Oval shaft
For what it's worth, I've found kind of the opposite - a smaller diameter shaft seems nicer. In fact Maxpaddle makes a "skinny shaft" that is really small. Felt funny at first, but then I found that my forearms and hands weren't gripping the shaft as tightly as on a larger diameter shaft or an oval shaft. Don't use one presently, though.

You might just need to learn to relax your grip somewhat?

More
15 years 9 months ago #2229 by mckrouk
I suspect that if you are gripping as loosely as you should, then the shaft shape shouldn't make a difference. Personal preference and what one is used to are the only factors.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2230 by stuartknaggs

I- so there's no right answer for any particular paddler. It's probably like boat color.

Of course boat colour makes a difference, everyone knows a red boat is faster than a white boat. Stripes make the biggest difference - except for flames, for those brave enough to paint them on their boats....

More
15 years 9 months ago #2231 by thebigadski
Over the last 18 months I've used a round shaft, Maxpaddles skinny (very comfortable) and now the oval of the Epic Mid Wing.

My hands are quite big and early on I thought having a bigger shaft to grip on would be better......how wrong was I !!! :P

I took a while to get used to the skinny shaft, but found it extremely comfortable....all those blisters disappeared as my grip loosened!

Now I paddle the Epic oval mid wing and its an in between feel.....still skinny for a loose feel but also slightly indexed. I'm quite happy with it so far. (lighter than the maxpaddle also!)

Again ....all boils down to getting a feel of a few and don't always take as gospel what the guy says in the shop! ;)

Latest Forum Topics