Re: First surfski - advice please

More
16 years 9 months ago #225 by Rouen
I also started on a Hammerhead. Like Alain said, its slow, old and ugly. But I think its the ideal ski for a beginner to start off with. They are really stable and because of the flat deck and shallow cockpit very easy to get back on if you had a swim. And they`re tough as coffin nails, mine got rolled on the rocks in Mosselbay and it stil got me home.

I also reckon you would be able to pick up a old Hammerhead in usable condition for a bargain. Its ideal if you want to get into paddling but dont want to spend a lot of cash to get kitted out because youre not sure if you would keep paddling in the future. Start of on a ski you`re not really sorry for and learn to paddle first and then buy a decent ski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #226 by MFB

I also started on a Hammerhead. Like Alain said, its slow, old and ugly. But I think its the ideal ski for a beginner to start off with. They are really stable and because of the flat deck and shallow cockpit very easy to get back on if you had a swim. And they`re tough as coffin nails, mine got rolled on the rocks in Mosselbay and it stil got me home.

I also reckon you would be able to pick up a old Hammerhead in usable condition for a bargain. Its ideal if you want to get into paddling but dont want to spend a lot of cash to get kitted out because youre not sure if you would keep paddling in the future. Start of on a ski you`re not really sorry for and learn to paddle first and then buy a decent ski.

I completely agree with your advice. I too started out on a hammerhead. Its 94 Ultimate Wedge. Yes, it is a bit slow. Thanks for reassuring, I thought it was just me. On flatwater, best I could get it running was 13.5 kph. I just might graduate this year to a Fenn Mako 6 glass.

More
16 years 9 months ago #227 by bluesea
Have never tried a spec, but the old Chalupski with a deep seat was the most stable boat I've ever paddled. Wish I still had it...as a loaner and for historical purposes.

• Clive R
  • Visitor
16 years 8 months ago #228 by Clive R
Replied by Clive R on topic Re: First surfski - advice please
You know what's great about a forum is that you can disagree!!!
I totally disagree with all of you who say a spec ski is the best beginner boat.
I'm 47 and started paddling only last year, no surf lifesaving background had never paddlled anything before I hit surfski school. A year and half later and having paddled just about everthing I can lay my hands on - I am very greatful that we have modern skis and that I don't have to paddle the old spec ski's you guys reminisce over. I currently own a V10 Sport and for a beginner it is fantastic, stable but very quick and will do for many years.

But being rookie I wanted to keep it for racing and not damage it playing in the surf which I really enjoy, I have been looking for an 2nd hand Spec ski. Anything that is 2nd hand and cheap is old (I have paddled 6 different makes) - jeepers what sh**** skis!!! Heavy as hell, slow, sluggish to turn, and compared to a modern ski very unstable, only pro is that they are very easy to get back on. I take my hat to you guys who learnt to paddle on those things when there was nothing else or because they were cheap. It was explained to me by ex life savers that these boats were never meant to be begginner boats, but surf compitition boats for people who had spent nearly their whole life by/in/on the sea and the last thing they needed in a boat was stable - read fast.

There is only one spec skis that I would consider but its a new design and none found 2nd hand - Mark Lewin's Titan is a great beginner boat and great to play in the surf with and not slow either. So if you can afford it as your 1st ski (SA boats - never seen a forgien ski here) get a Red7 surf 60, or Fenn XT, or Epic V10 Sport, Titan, Mentor or even a Dorado, much better options and you will still be paddling them in 2-4 years time.

More
16 years 8 months ago #229 by cjborg
For what it's worth, I'm a beginner, have paddled a few skis - though not nearly as many as others on this forum - and am very happy with both my Fenn XTs. One is a used third-owner carbon model, and the other a new glass model. I'd buy another. Only two problems...1) need more time to paddle, 2) need some friends who paddle. I don't think you'd regret an XT, especially if you paddle in rough seas. I know there are faster skis, but after just a few months, I'm comfortable in windy 4-6 ft conditions (of course, I don't mind a swim now and again :D).

Latest Forum Topics