First wing paddle - advice please

More
16 years 11 months ago #305 by EdK
Hi - I am trying to sort out a surfski but in the meantime thought I'd order a wing paddle from this guy :

(website.lineone.net/~childsplay_/surf/Products/Paddles.htm)

He sells Sout African paddles I think.

Anyway, I was going to go for a Letmann I as I would be using the paddle for fun and not racing. Is this a good choice ?

I am not sure about the size.

I am 6'2" - anyone else that height? What paddle dimensions do you use ?

As far as construction goes, I am tempted by carbon/carbon but am wary that this might be a bit fragile - any ideas ? Like I said I wont be racing so I guess the emphasis is on reliability and long lasting use (but not too darn heavy :) )

And finally ... to split or not to split..
Do you guys notice alot of performance difference between a split length paddle and a straight shaft (no join/split/varilock) ?

Cheers for any advice - Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #306 by Pistol

More
16 years 11 months ago #307 by Martin
Hi there

There's some good information on the forum here regarding paddles. Have a read and see if that clarifies it. It can be a little confusing though.

My opinion is to get the correct paddle from the start. A two piece with a length lock will resolve all the issues about length and setting the angle of the blade. it's also nicely transportable and the length can be adjusted by upto 10cm.

The paddle wizard on the epic site will give you an indication ( I would guess 215 cm ). Be careful of the type of length adjusting systems. You don't want to be using car spanners etc to change the length.

Negative side is that the price is a bit higher for a two piece.

Cheers
Martin

Latest Forum Topics