point-of-view video technology, digital helmet cam

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #3201 by Christian_Hoeier
I found a nice point-of-view camera build for extreme sports. It might be something for Rob and others :)

Review:
helmetcameracentral.com/2009/03/30/vio-pov15-review/

And nice demonstration from a kayak.
hjelmkamera.dk/article_info.php?articles_id=66
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by Christian_Hoeier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3204 by [email protected]
Oh yes, I want one of these babies - slightly eye-watering price though!

I need to start saving! :)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
14 years 11 months ago #3206 by rambo
Yep nice unit and price. Sony have brought out on similar one in Hi Definition but it suffers the jello wobbles from having a CMOS sensor and rendering it almost useless for hi motion footage. The POV still has line honors for hi motion with the CCD sensor but purple streaks when facing bright sunlight. ...sigh..

The ol' Gopro still the most versatile.

Cheers Rambo

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #3207 by rambo
I'm really keen on this one though, just reviewed a "raw" clip straight from the camera and it has great color, steady lighting levels, fantastic resolution and good motion capture. Holds a 16gig card and has 130 degree wide angle and records in 720p Hi Definition at 30fps.

Available in May 2009 and under $300 bucks

www.vholdr.com/contourhd/overview

Cheers Rambo
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by rambo.

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
14 years 11 months ago #3208 by StuartXpat
Note the line water resistant - nice camera but I don't think it will last long on a ski. I'm still saving for the ATC3K.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3212 by rambo
Yep it's not waterproof but a ziplock bag and duct tape fix that.

It's expendable at that price, it's the quality of the video i'm more interested in.

Checkout the RAW clip direct from the Cam
www.mediafire.com/?ymkkgxkgzi0

Cheers Rambo

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #3559 by Beanboy
Are these specialized systems that much better than typical waterproof p+s cameras? Use an older waterproof camera and suction cup mount (with line attached to ski just in case) for under $200 gives me full waterproof ability and being able to reposition to get views of my technique (or lack thereof) and the ability to use off the boat easily if we stop somewhere on a paddle.

Just seem more versatile for less cost? Newer cameras also offer high-speed and/or HD resolution, although compression might not be as good, but SD cards are cheap nowadays. I guess you don't get point-of-view from eye level though, which is important in some situations.

Good to see different companies coming out with different options though, makes the whole market that much better for consumers in the long-run.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Beanboy.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3572 by rambo
I don't think these "specialized Cams" are any better image wise than point and shoot DigiCams for web delivery, but it's the extras that make the difference, like mounts, better waterproofing and wide angle.(the GoPro is rated to 30 metres - 100ft)

I still enjoy the image from my bulletCam hooked up to a MiniDV Camcorder, bulky and lots of wires , but that little bullet or Lipstick Cam can be placed anywhere and is virtually indestructible. Needs 12volts to run it though and you don't have access to the Dv recorder to control it unless you add more cables and a Lanc.

At the end of the day it's about the quality of the content you capture not image, good when you get both though.

Cheers Rambo

Latest Forum Topics