PFDs. Whats good?

More
14 years 10 months ago #3276 by service8
PFDs. Whats good? was created by service8
I am sure it?s been said before but I will ask anyway.
I do a fair bit of solo paddling and even though I have an inflatable vest that I attach to my ski I was thinking of getting a vest to wear full time.
I am looking for a vest that is light and not too bulky that it interferes with my stroke. Also is there any vests that have inbuilt hydration systems?
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3277 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re:PFDs. Whats good?
The Mocke jacket is surfski specific, well priced and has the features you require.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3278 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re:PFDs. Whats good?
Ditto, and the Mocke pfd is the most comfortable vest I have worn. That makes it easier to put on.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3280 by CPYuHK
Replied by CPYuHK on topic Re:PFDs. Whats good?
what's the price of Mocke's life jacket?

More
14 years 10 months ago #3282 by dplouepic
Replied by dplouepic on topic Re:PFDs. Whats good?
The Sea02 PFD by Kokatat is an hybrid inflatable PFD which combines the flotation of foam with an air chamber that can be inflated by mouth or with a C02 cartridge.It offers low profile,foam flotation for run of the mill self rescues,and additional inflatable buoyancy for real emergencies.When this product came on the market in USA,the price was 169$
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more details
The main problem is to know if this PFD is approved in your country. Mocke pfd are forbidden in France where the new regulation needs 70 newton of buoyancy for surfski and kayak buoyancy-aids.Depending our practise ,racing or solo surfskiing you needs would be different.A rear pocket for hydratation is mandatory on both,but a big front one is a priority for my VHF handheld radio.Good luck to find the best model for you

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
14 years 10 months ago #3283 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:PFDs. Whats good?
I have a Mocke, my wife has a Tripper, so I have raced with both. I think the Tripper is more comnfortable and its one size fits all. When its dry it is lighter than the Mocke but they are the same when wet. Both are well made and neither interfear with the paddling stroke.

Some of my paddling mates use their Gill sailing PFDs. They are less flexible but also give free movement of the arms and there have been no chafing issues.

I know its hard but best is to try borrow a few different ones and try them for your own taste.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3290 by Gavin Gottschalk
I agree the Mocke is a great pfd. The old Tripper had foam beads- these apparently degrade with time. But the beads also cause a kind of sponge effect when taking a long swim and make one feel very bulky and heavy. I can speak from an unhappy experience. The new Trippers are made with foam blocks similar to the Mocke, but I haven't tried one out.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3295 by Tecpartner
Replied by Tecpartner on topic Re:PFDs. Whats good?
The Mocke was recomended to me on this board. I bought one 6 months ago, from Ocean Paddle Sports, and have been happy with it. I paddle alone a lot, and now wear it every time I go out. It's got a small but convenient pocket in front that holds my phone and Ipod. The pocket in back holds the hydration bladder. It's made of mesh, so it isn't too hot.

I have a question though: the hydration bladder makes the water taste like plastic. Any way to get rid of that?

I'd rather be paddling....

Think EVO II
Epic V10S
Nelo 520
Epic V8

More
14 years 10 months ago #3296 by YBA/Jim Murray
I use a bladder made by "source" for about two years now. there has been no problems with taste or anything else. Good quality,reasonable price.
You can get it in canada from Mountain Equipment Co-op by mail. There is an USA dealer too, I think.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3299 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re:PFDs. Whats good?
Camelbak

More
14 years 10 months ago #3300 by CPYuHK
Replied by CPYuHK on topic Re:PFDs. Whats good?
Hydropak

More
14 years 9 months ago #3343 by vinnyboy
Replied by vinnyboy on topic Re:PFDs. Whats good?
Hi,

anyone knows whether the Mocke PFD can be bought in Europe? I haven't found any shop that has it so far.
What is the exact buoyancy of the Mocke pfd?
Thanks.

More
14 years 9 months ago #3345 by YBA/Jim Murray
I bought mine from here: www.thepaddlingcentre.com/buy.php?cat=6
Delivery was by post with no problem, other than a bit slow at my end (local postal worker slowdown).

More
14 years 9 months ago #3346 by garykroukamp

Latest Forum Topics