Paddle length

More
14 years 10 months ago #3303 by ckmacgyver
Paddle length was created by ckmacgyver
Hi, I hope someone can help. I am busy buying a surf ski and getting into the sport. I have been told that a 216 length paddle is correct for me (the shop I am buying from mainly deal with river paddlers), my dimensions are if I stretch my arms out, crucifix style and lift my forearms so that they are at 90 degrees to the rest of my arm ? from elbow to elbow I measure 1040mm, I am 1.85m tall. My balance is terrible and I will be paddling a Honcho Guru. Is a 216 Length correct?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3304 by Christian_Hoeier
Replied by Christian_Hoeier on topic Re:Paddle length
Short answer is YES.

It depends on the paddle you use, your technique, strength, and the kayak.

I'm 1.84 m high and uses normally a length of 2.14 to 2.17 m for a standard wing paddle.

I will recommend that you get a paddle, which you can adjust in length and angle, so you can try what is best for you.

The Epic homepage have a nice guide for selecting a paddle, that you can try.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3306 by AndrewN
Replied by AndrewN on topic Re:Paddle length
Generally your paddle is much shorter in the sea.

On flatwater most guys paddle between 215 and 219 in K1's.

In a ski, they will use 211 to 215 - even the big guys.

There are no rules with how long your paddle should be - maybe start a bit shorter at 214 and experiment with what feels best.

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
14 years 10 months ago #3307 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:Paddle length
A lot depends on the blade length. A longer blade like a Lettman 1 will need a longer overall length - maybe around 2.17m. A shorter blade as has become more popular recently will need a shorter overall length, maybe as short as 2.12m. As was aid earlier - an adjustable shaft is really the best way to start. Get something 210 to 220 and you will be covered.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3308 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re:Paddle length
I used to paddle with a 2:14 shaft and was advised by Oscar Chalupsky to try 2:12 which I've been setting for a year now.

I use an Epic mid-wing.

Dawid and Nikki Mocke advise training with the paddle set to 1cm longer than you race with.

Then when you race at the "correct" length you feel stronger...

Haven't tried that trick yet!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
14 years 10 months ago #3309 by Shaun
Replied by Shaun on topic Re:Paddle length
216 seems like it might be a little long.

Like what these guys have been saying, get an adjustable paddle and see what fits you best. I tend to like shorter paddles for a higher stroke rate, but I still never go longer than 214 and that seems very long in certain conditions like going upwind. Adjustable paddles are nice because you can even change the length depending on what you are doing. 216 might be good for a downwind, but you might find you like something shorter for flatwater.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3313 by ckmacgyver
Replied by ckmacgyver on topic Re:Paddle length
Thanks a million guys for taking the time to answer, it gives me a bit more of an idea what to look for

More
14 years 10 months ago #3316 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re:Paddle length
Shaun wrote:

216 might be good for a downwind, but you might find you like something shorter for flatwater.

I assume this is a typo and you meant to say the exact opposite?

:S

More
14 years 10 months ago #3317 by Shaun
Replied by Shaun on topic Re:Paddle length
Stew wrote:

Shaun wrote:

216 might be good for a downwind, but you might find you like something shorter for flatwater.

I assume this is a typo and you meant to say the exact opposite?

:S

Well, perhaps I am different than everyone else, but that is how I paddle. :blush:

For flatwater and mixed choppy water, I use my standard paddle length, too long of a paddle and I get tired quickly and my stroke rate slows more than I like it. When I am going downwind, I make it a little longer because I am going faster and I can use the extra length for more power to sprint my way onto a wave. Also, it allows me to keep my normal stroke rate. I shorten my paddle when going upwind for the exact opposite reason, going slower through the water so a shorter paddle will allow me to keep about the same stroke rate.

So what does everyone else do?

More
14 years 10 months ago #3319 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re:Paddle length
Oscar Chalupsky shortens his paddle to go upwind - and when he's tired or it's very rough.

As he said, changing the length is like changing gears - the shorter the shaft, the lower the gear.

B)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
14 years 9 months ago #3491 by Gavin Gottschalk
Replied by Gavin Gottschalk on topic Re:Paddle length
I'm 6 foot tall, and discovered last week that my paddle length at 216 was too long (for 3 years!). It's now 212 and MUCH for comfortable

More
14 years 8 months ago #3503 by John Sanderson
Replied by John Sanderson on topic Re:Paddle length
Hi Guys

All the posts about paddle length got me thinking about my own set up. My paddle is an Epic mid wing i.e. MWFC 208 - 218 and have it set at 3. My question is what is 3 in terms of length?

The other question I have relates to the degrees offset of the blades. My offset is 30 I assume this means 30 degrees.

What are your thoughts about the offset given a range of paddling conditions.

Cheers
John

More
14 years 8 months ago #3512 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:Paddle length
John, you can measure your paddle, tip to tip, and get the exact measurement. But, I assume that "3" is 3 cm more than the shortest, so 211 cm.

For feather, average is about 60 degrees. Most ski paddlers fall in between 50 and 70 degrees, and I would guess that virtually all ski paddlers are between 45 and 75 degrees.

I once found an internet page that visually explained why the average feather is about 60, but I can't find it at the moment - it was written by a young Englishman for a university project or something like that. In short, it shows that if you view the paddler from the side, the angle made between the top arm and the lower arm (at the catch) dictates the appropriate anatomic feather angle and the end result is that the top arm control-side wrist is in neutral position when the non-control side pull begins.

So, your feather angle of 30 might be appropriate if your hands stay mid-chest high or lower while you paddle.

I haven't heard of paddlers changing their feather angle for various water conditions. I suppose a small minority might increase feather if going directly into a strong headwind.

ERik

More
14 years 8 months ago #3531 by John Sanderson
Replied by John Sanderson on topic Re:Paddle length
Hi Erik. Thanks for your advise I've tried a couple of variations on feather and found 45 degrees to have the best affect.

Cheers
John

More
14 years 8 months ago #3533 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:Paddle length
Bingo - found the link.

www.simondawson.com/artkcr1.htm

His pics of the arm height / angle and how it relates to the amount of feather are well done.

Erik

More
14 years 8 months ago #3534 by CPYuHK
Replied by CPYuHK on topic Re:Paddle length
thx erik, it's quite useful.

Latest Forum Topics