Snapped rudder shaft

More
14 years 8 months ago #3492 by Gavin Gottschalk
We paddled yesterday in pond-like conditions from Fish Hoek to Muizenberg, where we started plying in some gentle waves on the backline. Catching my 3rd one, I suddenly broached and took a swim, luckily holding onto the boat with my toes by the footstraps. As I was heading back out....no steering! My rudder was gone. I made it the 5km back to Fish Hoek using counter-leaning to steer. On inspection: my Epic V10L Ultra's carbon rudder shaft had clean snapped flush with the hull. If that had been a downwind or rough water ,I'd have taken out my cell phone and called for help. I know the carbon vs steel shaft issue has been raised before, but I'm raising it again.... (ps I'm a great fan of the boat- that's not the issue.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
14 years 8 months ago #3495 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:Snapped rudder shaft
I have to agree about the carbon shaft. A friend of mine came in after a paddle and was standing next to his ski in very calm ankle deep water when a "toe" high ripple passed by and pushed his V10L onto the beach. Snap - guess what happened. I know he should have been more careful but I think the disadvantage of that wonderfully light rudder is just not worth it.

Maybe Epic should offer a standard SS shaft rudder for their glass boats with a carbon shaft option?

More
14 years 8 months ago #3498 by garykroukamp
What rudder and shaft have you replaced it with, Gavin?

More
14 years 8 months ago #3500 by Gavin Gottschalk
Gary,
Denis at the Paddling Centre in Fish Hoek very kindly and efficiently fitted an old replacement rudder of a similar elliptical shape, as a temporary solution. In the meanwhile I'm waiting to hear what kind of replacement Epic SA will be able to provide. Not keen on a carbon shaft again, though, after this experience...

Latest Forum Topics