short ski

More
14 years 6 months ago #3637 by shiner
short ski was created by shiner
Hello,

I'm hoping to get into surfskis but i'm limited to a max length of 18' (5.5m) and that is pushing it. I'm 6'3 and 100kg. i wont be racing just pleasure use. Any advice for a short ski would be welcomed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #3652 by shiner
Replied by shiner on topic Re:short ski
i assume from the lack of replies that you cant get a surf ski less than 18'. i'll have to find a sit on kayak then

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
14 years 6 months ago #3653 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:short ski
On the contrary, there are many skis under 6.5m but 18 feet is 5.45m. There are a lot of 5.6m skis about (18 foot 4.5 inches). Maybe you copuld buy on eof those and cut an end off.

More
14 years 6 months ago #3654 by keithnix
Replied by keithnix on topic Re:short ski
There are some beginner spec skis out there at 17". I cant remember who is making them right now but google some Aussie spec ski makers like ozflyte, hayden and dolphin.

More
14 years 6 months ago #3655 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re:short ski
Is the reason for a short ski a storage problem? I have seen a hole cut into a shed wall for K2 storage.
Alternatively, as I have done, is to find storage somewhere other than your home.
J.

More
14 years 6 months ago #3656 by shiner
yeah its storage, my garage is just over 17' long. problem i have is im in the uk so ski makers are far and few between so i will have to ship one from the usa or oz. I see hayden do a 16' compact ski but their web site does not seem to be working. Is it asking alot for a short ski to take a 100kg paddler??

• Ben Wulfsohn
  • Visitor
14 years 6 months ago #3657 by Ben Wulfsohn
Replied by Ben Wulfsohn on topic Re:short ski
I have just bought a Horizon made by Custom Kayaks in Durban South Africa. It is 5.6m long, highly stable and can take quite a load. There is photo on Custom Kayak website showing a 53 year old , 110kg novice making out through the surf. www.customkayaks.co.za/ . Regards Ben

More
14 years 6 months ago #3658 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:short ski
Hang your ski diagnally, like the rest of us.
Stop looking for short skis and start looking for creative
ways to hang your ski from corner to corner. There are only
2 blokes in the whole world that bung their skis straight in,
Wesley and Rob's mate Dale. The rest of us are married and are only allowed one ski and have to put the car in the garage not the ski. Be creative with your storage and the confusing choice of long skis will be at your feet.

More
14 years 6 months ago #3660 by shiner
18 foot was measured on on one wall diagonally, i have an up and over door so hanging from the roof is also a no go. Remember i'm in the uk so house sizes are tiny compared to the rest of you. Plus i also have a 16'6 downwind sup, 9'8 sup, double sit on kayak plus my brothers boards to fit in!
Hope now i've admitted i sup as well the help wont stop. Seen a bit of stick on the sup forums between skis and sup.

More
14 years 6 months ago #3661 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re:short ski
OK...do you really want the ski? What are the priorities?
Have no fear, cut the hole!
J.

More
14 years 6 months ago #3674 by shiner
once the hayden web site is up and running i'm going to go for a hayden compact and get it shipped here to the uk

Thanks for the help

More
14 years 6 months ago #3675 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re:short ski
Hi Shiner. What is a sup?

Consider outdoor racks at the bottom of the garden?

More
14 years 6 months ago #3676 by shiner
SUP = stand up paddle surfer

as for the rack in the garden i would but i cant get into my garden unless i go through the house so to much hassle.

has anyone tried the hayden compact?

More
14 years 6 months ago #3678 by rojo
Replied by rojo on topic Re:short ski
Hi,
as you are based in Europe you might want to look at the French manufacturers www.polyform.fr or J-F-K (jfkayak.free.fr). Both are selling a modell called Vital which is 5.20 long and based on an old K1 or scandinavian Turkajak.
Same category is the Think Fit.
All three boats are not exactly performance surfskis but should do as good fitness boats for training and an occasional race.

Cheers, RoJo

More
14 years 6 months ago #3686 by waterbornewarrior
Replied by waterbornewarrior on topic Re:short ski
My girlfriend has the Hayden compact ski. It's a cool boat for what it is, definitely not competitive with the 6+ meter skis, especially because it's got a lot of rocker (very short waterline). But for in and out through surf, messing around, etc, it's very fun. Very comfortable and well made. You might be pushing its capacity at 100 KG, but that would be a question for Hayden. Their website appears to be up, are you still having problems?

www.haydensurf.com/

Don

More
14 years 6 months ago #3691 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re:short ski
The other option for people with no storage space at home is to store it at a canoe or surfski club. There may be a boat club or self storage facility which you could utilise to avoid becoming frustrated with a ski that will likely be too short for you. "Think outside the box!"

More
14 years 6 months ago #3702 by shiner
i'm going to try my local sailing club and see if i can store it their. your right no good settling for second best

Latest Forum Topics