Re: Red7 Surf 70 or Epic V10

More
17 years 8 hours ago #369 by [email protected]

I've read about the Red 7 surf 70 and the technology that went behind it. Its also what Dawid Mocke is using!

Any idea when this will be out?

The epic v10 is currently available in hongkong which is quite near to me. However, I've read the the build is kinda delicate and the rudder is not as sturdy (it gets bent).

Just a couple of corrections - have a look at the King of the Harbour photos and look closely at the ski that Dawid is using! It's a Mako6.

IMHO the build of the V10s is not as delicate as some other skis and even then it depends on which layup you go for. The ultra is probably not as robust as the standard or economy layups.

And the problem that they had with the bendy rudders was only on the early South African built models where they used tube instead of solid rudder shafts.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 hour ago #370 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Red7 Surf 70 or Epic V10
What set up do you recommend for the epic v10? Is there an in between for that's suitable for training and light weight enough for competition?

The Red7 Surf 70 Pro will be launched next month. I havent recieved any price yet or what has changed in the email sent.

More
16 years 11 months ago #371 by HI Paddler
If you can afford the ultra V10, its the way to go. Its not cheap, but every time I pick it up it give me a smile - it feels so ridiculously light.

But if you are looking for a training-only boat, you can get the glass version and be just fine.

For me, the light weight is most appreciated at the end of the run when I'm exhausted and have to carry the boat to my truck.

More
16 years 11 months ago #372 by MFB
So if we compare the standard construction and the one for ultra light, which is more durable? Can I use the Ultra for both training and competition without compromising durability? Is the ultra light easy to "puncture"?

I found the Asian distributor nearest to my country. Surprisingly, the price is similar to the US. I just have to find a cheaper way to have it sent to me via sea freight.

More
16 years 11 months ago #373 by MFB
Hi Rob,

The Fenn Mako you have is carbon vacuumed right? If I get a carbon Kevlar (surf70 pro), do you think this will be as rigid as the standard glass construction?

Mark

More
16 years 11 months ago #374 by HI Paddler

So if we compare the standard construction and the one for ultra light, which is more durable? Can I use the Ultra for both training and competition without compromising durability? Is the ultra light easy to "puncture"?

I found the Asian distributor nearest to my country. Surprisingly, the price is similar to the US. I just have to find a cheaper way to have it sent to me via sea freight.

Short answer is I'm not sure. I have only the ultra and use it for everything I do (training plus the races I enter). Its so much more enjoyable to paddle that I'm willing to "risk it."

What I've been informed is that the fiberglass models are much easier (and cheaper) to repair than carbon models. I have no idea if its easier to puncture.

More
16 years 11 months ago #375 by MFB
HI PADDLER,

Is the V10 Ultra Carbon or Carbon Kevlar?

More
16 years 11 months ago #376 by bluesea

HI PADDLER,

Is the V10 Ultra Carbon or Carbon Kevlar?

I believe its a kevlar/nomex core layup. I seem to recall Greg Barton mentioning that the Ultra was stronger in the water, but needing more careful handling when out of the water.

Latest Forum Topics