Safety in low light

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4171 by SydneyonaFenn
I am in Sydney and with the days getting shorter my morning paddle is getting tougher to fit in before work. One group training session I was doing would mean paddling in the dark to get there.

Do you have any suggestions for some good safety gear for low light? I have seen some ski's pass with a suction cup deck light. It would be good to hear any suggestions on things to look out for, good performance or issues.

I was wondering about a head torch as well or if you are required to have a navigation light more in line with the maritime codes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bigmal
  • Visitor
14 years 3 weeks ago #4174 by bigmal
Replied by bigmal on topic Re:Safety in low light
Hi Grant

I paddle with a bunch on Sydney harbour a few mornings a week. We have been picked up by the water police a few times now. While they have been very accommodating this may not continue. The last advice we were give by the police is that you are required to have one white light that is visible for 360 degrees or white lights front and back.

I am not a fan of head lamps as whenever you look across to someone you risk blinding them with your glare. You should consider the brightness of the light on the others in the group even when on your boat. Last week the guys were complaining about my rear facing light. Flashing too annoyed the others out training. I have now run two strips of masking tape over my lights to ensure they are not to bright.

I would suspect you would get some good options from a boat shop, mine are bicycle lights.

Regarding gear, I am not aware of anything specifically good beyond high visibility or reflective clothes. These are not great in the dark as boats are not really throwing a beam to light up reflective clothes.

I would say two lights as required, paddle with a group but don’t blind them, have your other safety equipment (lifejacket, phone, etc) and you should be right

Enjoy the mornings, thay have been great lately.

Regards

Mal

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4175 by keithnix
Replied by keithnix on topic Re:Safety in low light
For Aussie paddlers these are great lights- get the white ones and set them to non flashing for NSW Maritime Compliance.

www.multipoweredproducts.com.au/products...Light-%252d-EGG.html

Attach them to your boat with this tape (re-ssealable like velcro)

www.industrysearch.com.au/Products/3M-Du...astener-SJ3560-31773

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4176 by nickovalentino
Hey Grant, check out these ones www.rowingboatlights.com/generallights.html. You want the Tektite 4 LED Mark III Marker light with the suction cap. Will keep Water Police off your case and highly visible. This is the best light I've used in nearly 10 years on the water: durable, waterproof, high vis and only 3 AAs that seem to last ages.

I use two (fore and aft), but you need to shroud the one in front otherwise hard to see obstacles. Only problem is they sink so use the tether they (now!) come with (I lost one under Gladesville Bridge last winter).

Cheers

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4177 by SydneyonaFenn
Thanks guys

Mal - Good tips, thanks. I hadnt really considered that the lights would be a pain for others around you but you're spot on. The flashing lights can be a bit irritating but they are useful for being seen. I have a few bike lights but I'm not sure how well they would hold up for me as I still have the odd swim, particularly in low visibility situations

Keith - These look pretty handy for cycling/paddling etc and as they seem pretty small would be handy to leave on the ski full time as they wouldn't really get in the way and they could help out if you get caught out at dusk.

Nick - this looks like what I saw on some of the ski's getting around. Did you get this from an Australian distributor or from the UK company? Does the suction cup hold fairly well? I was thinking I could perhaps stick it through a small float so it doesnt sink if it gets knocked off.

Thanks for the good ideas and products. All are pretty cheap and way better than getting run over by a boat.

Grant

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4179 by nickovalentino
Hi Grant, I got the lights from the distributor in Melbourne (www.rowingboatlights.com/contact.html). They're pretty responsive. The suction cup holds pretty well, but they now come with a tether that you can attach to your cargo webbing or similar if they do come off. Or if in doubt you could duct tape it to the deck for sure.
Cheers

• andrew skeoch
  • Visitor
14 years 1 week ago #4270 by andrew skeoch
Replied by andrew skeoch on topic Re:Safety in low light
Great idea, last thing i think about before i go out.
Learned my lesson in a race in Toronto, Canada (not NSW). We finished well after dark in storming conditions and had to paddle as a group back to to our launch. Trying to stick together and go slow with surf skis is not recommended.
Regards
Andrew

Latest Forum Topics