Re: HUMMING RUDDER

More
16 years 8 months ago #567 by mckrouk
Re: HUMMING RUDDER was created by mckrouk
Hey, Deano.

Do you think your boat was still making that humming noise as it passed the Mozambique border sometime early on Monday morning? Bad luck buddy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #568 by [email protected]

I own a Carbon Mako6 and experience a humming sound from about 12km/h and up.

I spoke to Keith Fenn about this and he confirmed that it is caused by a flaw in the rudder and the only cure is to replace it.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 8 months ago #569 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
Any other ideas?

I paddle an Endorfinn (plastic surfski) and get a humming and vibration.

I tightened the trailing rudder and that seemed to make it less, but I can't tighten it any more as it won't flip down.

More
16 years 7 months ago #570 by stuartknaggs
Replied by stuartknaggs on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
I noticed the humming on a friend's XT I tried. I thought it was pretty cool and fun to try to keep it humming. I suppose I might get a bit tired of it if it was my boat.

Stuart

More
16 years 7 months ago #571 by jsowers
Replied by jsowers on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
Rudders on beach cats often hum at speed, often correctable by fairing the trailing edge. www.mariner-sails.com/cust_files/Hobie/hum.html or try www.catsailor.net/cgi-bin/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000089.html I suspect you can fix this

More
16 years 7 months ago #572 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
John.

Thanks for the suggestion.
The rudder is standard - although it may be more flexible than a new one. The flexibility ensures that it bends rather than breaks so that the mounting is saved.

More
16 years 5 months ago #573 by quickwaves
Replied by quickwaves on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
I had a 9" rudder hum at about 6.9 mph, but not when going faster or slower; it was like a dull vibration that could be felt not heard. Quite obnoxious, actually. The cause, upon close inspection, turned out to be a vrey slight warp in the shape, it was not perfectly straight. The manufacturer was happy to replace it at no cost.

More
16 years 4 months ago #574 by onnopaddle
Replied by onnopaddle on topic Re: HUMMING RUDDER
You could always try to block it down with a small piece of high density foam for your wetsanding block and 600 or 320 if you want to do more right away finish w/ aft flowing, horizontal strokes for best mental advantage. ..... if the rudder is warped, above work is moot. You could also add another washer ( or two ) to the post to take up a little slack in the up / down movement of the post itself.

Aloha, pog

Latest Forum Topics