Re: Surfski weight

More
16 years 9 months ago #625 by latman
Re: Surfski weight was created by latman

An image of "Our Surfski"

Hi Robert ,Is that a photograph of you on your ski ?, Its looks like a Hayden with Force Field stickers ,unlike the blue ski behind which does actually look like an older model Force Field. Where was the photo taken ? Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #626 by Hemd
Replied by Hemd on topic Re: Surfski weight
Hey Ian,

No it's not me on the ski, it's a a friend and teammate! That ski is bought as an Force Field Splender, as far as I know :P

www.force-field.de/default.php?thisID=98...l=10&CMS_LANGUAGE=EN

This photo was taken during the Victorinox Cup 2006 in Seewen, Switzerland.

Regards, Robert

More
16 years 8 months ago #627 by Jacques
Replied by Jacques on topic Re: Surfski weight
What would you consider to be a generally accepted weight for a standard glass layup competition surfski?

I bought a new surfski and am a bit disappointed with the weight, but don?t know if I have any reason to be.

Jacques

More
16 years 8 months ago #628 by [email protected]
Anything from 16 to 18kg. My glass Mako6 weighs 18.5kg which I wasn't too happy with but which is still considered "within limits".

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 8 months ago #629 by Jacques
Replied by Jacques on topic Re: Surfski weight
Thanks for the info. My new V10L weigh a whole 19.2kg. On your surfski shootout the V10 weighed 17.5kg. Was this the South African manufactured ski?

More
16 years 8 months ago #630 by [email protected]
The ski we used on the shootout had started life as a light carbon ski - but it had been through an extensive repair which resulted in it weighing 17kg plus. So that wasn't a representative ski at all.

19kg is at the top end of acceptable I would say. Is yours a Kayak Centre build? If so I'd discuss it with them and ask what their standard weight is.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• ab1
  • Visitor
16 years 8 months ago #631 by ab1
Replied by ab1 on topic Re: Surfski weight
In regards to ski weight, iv always wondered whether it really matters that much. My point being, is that because a ski is supported by water, wouldnt the effects of weight have minimal affect on ski performance, etc? And also, if one is really concerned about their ski being a couple of kg's heavy, couldnt they just lose a couple of kg's instead? I always wonder when I see someone who is 'big' (for example 100kg) be concerned about ski weight and spend extra money getting a lightweight ski when they could always just drop a few kilos?! (provided they are not 100kg of lean muscle!)

I must admit that, I would always prefer a lightweight ski over a heavier one, but I believe the only real factor is its just a 'mental thing'. Is this true, or does ski weight actually make a difference? Any thoughts anyone?

More
16 years 8 months ago #632 by [email protected]
I've heard two reasons why carbon skis are different to glass skis - the first is weight, but other is stiffness. The way I've heard it explained, a stiffer boat responds more directly to the paddle - flexing absorbs energy so a stiffer boat sees energy translated into speed more efficiently...

From my own experience, I much prefer my carbon ski - it "feels" perceptibly lighter and more responsive and seems to accelerate better. I broke my carbon ski and, while having it repaired, bought a glass one. I figured I'd use the glass one for social & training paddles and bring out the carbon one for races. The truth is I love the carbon boat so much I've hardly used the glass one.

Rob

Latest Forum Topics