The boat storage idea's thread

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6425 by AR_convert
I intend this thread to showcase how people store thier skis, from garage racks to wall mounted slings to hoists of different descriptions. Post your pics.

I have a new ski on the way and I also have a new 6.15m x 6m patio in my backyard.

Until now I had been using a rack system built with galvalinised steel poles, but it gets too much afternoon sun as its beside the house. (Will post pics shortly)

I want to try to rig something up to hang the ski from under the roof of the patio which is over 2.5m high, so I have the height and length, just need some ideas on pulleys and straps, winch? etc.

Here is the roof of the patio area I have to work with....

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by AR_convert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 2 months ago #6426 by AR_convert
This is my current storage solution. I have two plastics and some left over roof sheeting on it at present.

It was assembled entirely out of a fencing product we use here called "Cyclone fencing" which is the galvanised steel poles together with galvanised fittings.

Where the roof sheeting is sitting is where I used to store my last glass ski, the poles there have hot water system insulation wrapped around the poles to cushion whatever is laying on them. During storms I can throw a rope over the kayaks and lash them down quite easily.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6428 by ejpoulsen
I purchased one of these for $10 locally and mounted it with the blocks further apart; works perfectly.

www.garage-floor.org/wp-content/uploads/garage-lifts.jpg

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6430 by AR_convert
Thanks EJ, found a couple on Ebay, will post some pics of mine upon installation in a couple of weeks.

For illustration purposes....

More
13 years 2 months ago #6431 by Hiro
built last week
Attachments:

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6432 by latman
I added this polycarbonate roof recently to keep the tree gunk off the skis
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by latman.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 2 months ago #6433 by AR_convert
Hiro, is that a sea container your rack and roof is built off? Looks great, can I see something strapped to the bar on the top one to protect the ski?

Latman, very sleek design, like the roof sheeting...aren't you concerned about the amount of sun there? Oh, and love the STEALTH ski's branding ;)

A genuine thanks for lending so much of your general ski, paddle and boat building knowledge to the forum without spruiking your wares :)

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6434 by RHamady
Here's my solution for a 1.5 car garage. I put them up in the air so as not to get dinged & bumped around on the floor. Just went to Home Depot and bought some 3/4" rigid threaded pipe with elbows and floor flange. Screwed the floor flange into the ceiling, making sure I screwed into a joist. Threaded about a 1.5' pipe down, put some elbows, etc...and there you have it. In the back, I put a one size larger "T" on the down pipe, then came out of that with a straight piece, under it screwed another floor flange so the "T" can rest on it. Now you have the back rack that swivels out, making it easier to load and unload.....hopefully the pictures will help!
Aloha,
-Rich
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by RHamady. Reason: Reducing pic size

More
13 years 2 months ago #6435 by RHamady
Here's the back part that swivels.......those yellow things are paint rollers, they work great they roll nice and provide some protection from scratches.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salty Frog

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 2 months ago #6436 by AR_convert
Paint rollers!!! what an awesome idea :woohoo:

More
13 years 2 months ago #6437 by bobmoffatt
simple pulley system, not pretty but effective

my last two skis I only used the webbing straps around the skis but found hairline cracks along the seam, and suspected that pressure from the straps when the ski was suspended could have been an issue ??

cradle from local kayak manufacture, Finn

Past skis,Spirit Racing ski,Singer SLSA ski, Davenwood Eradicator, Custom Kayaks ICON, Think EVO, Stellar SR excel...current skis Stellar SES advantage, Stellar SEI excel

More
13 years 2 months ago #6438 by bobmoffatt
photo not loading for some reason

Past skis,Spirit Racing ski,Singer SLSA ski, Davenwood Eradicator, Custom Kayaks ICON, Think EVO, Stellar SR excel...current skis Stellar SES advantage, Stellar SEI excel

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 2 months ago #6439 by AR_convert
bobmoffatt wrote:

my last two skis I only used the webbing straps around the skis but found hairline cracks along the seam, and suspected that pressure from the straps when the ski was suspended could have been an issue ??

It's hard to imagine the weight of the ski could cause the cracks while resting against the straps :huh:

Thats being said, I intend on looking around for something wider than the tie down straps my hoist system is supplied with to spread the weight/load.

I'm thinking if I can find an old back pack, the shoulder straps are 3 to 4 inches wide on some of them. Or maybe tie the end of some cheesecloth to the hooks and spread the cheesecloth.....someone I'm sure will have a straight forward solution I'm sure.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6440 by AR_convert
bobmoffatt wrote:

photo not loading for some reason

Assuming you have the photo loaded up to Flikr or some other photo hosting site?

Check that you have the whole link address including the ".jpg" ending in the link, for example this is what you cut and paste into image link box
farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5220523513_c6e7bd366b_m.jpg

and the "h t t p : / /" needs to be on the front as well, (this site chops it off when displayed like this and turns it into a link as above.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6443 by latman
AR_convert wrote:

Hiro, is that a sea container your rack and roof is built off? Looks great, can I see something strapped to the bar on the top one to protect the ski?

Latman, very sleek design, like the roof sheeting...aren't you concerned about the amount of sun there? Oh, and love the STEALTH ski's branding ;)

A genuine thanks for lending so much of your general ski, paddle and boat building knowledge to the forum without spruiking your wares :)

For a few years there was no roof at all and no UV damage was noticed (wife on top here gets a new one yearly usually)and I only covered it because small dirty "dots" were all over the top ski when that tree grew bigger. Yes Stealth is my company and those 3 skis are my wife s ,her friend and mine on bottom of course.
The Stickers do their job of promoting the brand and directing people to the site address and there are 6 used per ski.I had thought of getting some bigger ones for the rear deck ha ha

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6445 by postal256
mill, elite double, and K1 stored behind garage. This side of garage is in shade all day. Built small roof over boats to keep weather off of them. Weird thing at top is a hanger I hang a climbing rope from to give 20' rope climb.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by postal256.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6446 by postal256
close up of cradles.. this works well, but if I did it again, I would use heavy duty shop drawer slides so that each boat cradle could slide out a couple feet.

Attachments:

More
13 years 2 months ago #6447 by postal256
and one more boat around the corner, on shaded side of fence. Boat cover seen wadded up on ground, of course!
Attachments:

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6453 by Hiro

Hiro, is that a sea container your rack and roof is built off?

Yep, a 20' shipping container, I made a shed with it and built a carport. The shed/container will become a workshop when I finish building the house.

can I see something strapped to the bar on the top one to protect the ski?

Top boat is not a ski, it's my wife's va'a : a tahitian outrigger canoe.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Hiro.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6459 by Hiro
Again not a surfski, this is a va'a, but you could store a ski the same way. Cheap, easy and built fast.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Hiro.

Latest Forum Topics