The boat storage idea's thread

More
13 years 1 month ago #6469 by Rightarmbad
Keep em coming, I'm moving at the moment and don't know how I am going to store mine after I do.
Some good ideas here.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #6475 by Red
We have a relatively low ceiling height under our house and needed a storage solution that did not have solid racks for people to hit their heads on when kayaks and skis aren't stored as we use the area regularly throughout the day. It also needed to be neat as it is the first thing that people see when they come to the front door.

Car seat belts is what we came up with, they don't hurt when you walk into them, there are no sharp edges or corners and are unobtrusive. They are also cheap when you know where to get them. They are set up so that one sling is a long loop with a seat belt clip sewn in the loop plus a hook on a joist, the other sling is just a simple clip and hook.

The long loop is so that you can place the kayak/ski in it and let it rest while you hook up the short sling, you then level out the kayak/ski with the clip on the long loop. It means that you don't need to worry about damaging the ski trying to get it through a short sling close to the ceiling and we can actually get it closer to the ceiling as a result. Also a smaller person does not have to support the entire weight of the ski/kayak while trying to hook it up.

We have 3 skis/kayaks stored this way and have never suffered any damage through storage.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Red.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salty Frog

More
13 years 1 month ago #6490 by Colnagodreaming
Hi Brett

Simply thread the each nylon strap through a 100cm length of tubular rubber foam (eg the stuff that protect skis against scraping on brackets).

cheers
Tom :huh:

• Enfobiobe
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #6507 by Enfobiobe
empty"/\n\nDon't miss a second of all the Fat Burning Tips we have for you - Be
sure your volume is up and give the page just a few seconds to load Click Here!

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #6510 by owenfromwales
Along the same lines as Postal 256. Simple shelf angle supports with a piece of wood on top. Sun wasn`t an issue, as this was when I lived in Wales. I should have had a small room and a cover of some sort though as it usually drops below freezing on winter nights and that does do damage to already cracked gel-coats.
The sliding out arms that Postal 256 mentioned would also have been a big improvement - especially when trying to store or move the double single handedly.
Just got a new place, so will be looking for inspiration from others on this page!
Happy paddling,
Owen

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by owenfromwales. Reason: forgot photo

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6515 by owenfromwales
*roof, not room for that last post (although a ski room does sound appealing!)
Here`s a 2nd shot, just to get a slightly better view of the `traditional` system.

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy
Attachments:

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
12 years 8 months ago #7284 by AR_convert
Okay, so it took me a lot longer than I'd expected, I had to fashion mounts due to the angle of the roof timbers. Here is the finished product, one ski, one kayak with plenty of room for more and easily put up & down by myself!

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 8 months ago #7287 by wesley
A few years ago we split the garage to have my wife's office thus creating another wall to store more boats. I went through a few kinds of racks over the years but have had this combo for a few years now. I have more skis out back in another style rack. I have found if you store them this way, they are protected, accessible, show well. [img]http://https://picasaweb.google.com/Surfski14/2011JulyGaragePicks[/img]

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
12 years 8 months ago #7289 by AR_convert
Very jealous, great set up.... must admit I did prefer to see the variety of ski's you had in a photo you posted some time ago in your ski review days ;) wesley wrote:

A few years ago we split the garage to have my wife's office thus creating another wall to store more boats. I went through a few kinds of racks over the years but have had this combo for a few years now. I have more skis out back in another style rack. I have found if you store them this way, they are protected, accessible, show well. quote]

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salty Frog

More
12 years 8 months ago #7293 by Pete
Due to the size of my garage I have it on a angle sitting on a foam stool to a rubber sling at the top.
Long term does anyone see a issue of having it like this.
Cheers
Pete

More
12 years 8 months ago #7307 by tazmaniandevil
Here a photo from our little boathouse.
We have no garage that was big enough for the skis, so we have to build something outside.

Attachments:

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
12 years 8 months ago #7353 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:The boat storage idea's thread
Slightly embarrassed compared to the previous but lets keep it real. Sure a lot of people have the same I have. The back garden.

The sandbags and Dora water slide? precaution against a fast approaching storm.

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
12 years 8 months ago #7354 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:The boat storage idea's thread
Here it is:

Attachments:

More
12 years 4 months ago #8634 by ejpoulsen

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 1 month ago #9277 by gstamer
Here's my contribution to this old thread. I'm using a stock Talic rack (Bundle Package 62600) to hold 6 - 7 kayaks. This is the same type of rack we used when I worked at the local kayak shop. I wanted the same setup at home (it replaced a ratty old DIY rack).

It's not cheap but I like the looks, adjustability and the slings that cradle the hulls. With a lot less money, a little ingenuity and some time, you could make something similar (I decided to spend my spare time paddling rather than building).

The optional wheels make the loaded rack fairly easy to move about. The base provides enough storage room for another kayak or bulky gear; I store my bins and vee racks there.

My garage is 22 feet, so I have to angle the rack slightly for the V12 to fit. It fits with a few inches to spare.

Greg Stamer
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by gstamer.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9281 by RHamady
Wow...now that is slick!! Very nice looking and easily moved.....

More
12 years 3 months ago #9292 by Sandy
Is that the unmistakeable nose of a perception 3-D lurking in the background of your photo Greg ? not too many fans of that early new school playboat...I loved mine and wish I had it still , turned out to be a really fun ocean surf boat.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 1 month ago #9293 by gstamer

Sandy wrote: Is that the unmistakeable nose of a perception 3-D lurking in the background of your photo Greg ? not too many fans of that early new school playboat...I loved mine and wish I had it still , turned out to be a really fun ocean surf boat.

Wow, Sandy, you have a sharp eye! Yes, that is indeed a 3-D. For ocean surfing I usually use my Jester Storm but sometimes the 3-D. I mainly keep the 3-D for occasional whitewater. Believe it or not, I traded a classic Dancer for it (I loved that old, old-school boat).

Here's the 3-D in action this summer, I'm about to hit Nantahala falls (class 3).

Greg Stamer
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by gstamer.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9296 by Sandy
DUDE ! nice Margarita color ! mine was "Bloody Mary "! What a great front surfer , always wanted to melt some fins onto mine for the ocean surf.....

More
12 years 1 month ago #10227 by Basswombat
Hi folks,
I've recently purchased my first ski - an Epic V8 - and was wondering if it is okay to store it vertically at home? I notice that most are storing horizontally, although I did find a kayaking forum that said it was fine to store boats vertically on the stern. Is a ski different? Would there be additional stresses on it vertically?
I don't really have a good horizontal spot so hopefully I can get away with vertical.
Cheers and thanks
Chuck

Latest Forum Topics