integrated kickback rudder

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #6670 by outriggerbev
stabbed my stellar with the back of the rudder two days ago on a high flying rock-its in getting repaired-it happens -probably more than everyone realises-but doesnt have to-why not have an integrated kick back rudder-not at the back of the boat like the normal kick back rudder-but in the normal position-around a meter in from back -but its a sealed unit-so its easily made with the boat(or built into the boat aftermarket) and has a certain tension which kicks back at the appearance of undersurface nasties -or simply sitting the boat on the ground!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #6671 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:integrated kickback rudder
good idea , would involve lots of parts ! , check out "Keri-tek" with a google search , they make a retractable skeg/rudder combo all in a cartrige and used in sea kayaks. Kinda cool but again , lots of parts and heavy , also sorting out and routing control lines , pedals etc....... my last sea kayak i ordered custom without skeg , the hull shaped lended itself to this (very balanced and not skeg dependent). NOT like a surfski which is I am sure you know very dependent on the rudder. Point being I ordered the boat with simplicity and more space in the aft compartment for multiday trips. I personally prefer the mechanisms (rudder on a ski) to be simple , strong and low maintainace (all = SEAWORTHY). If you have lots of parts you have more chance of them failing (aside the catastrophic failure of whacking a reef or a hard run aground). I am sure others will mention the weight. Kinda intrested to see if Epic will evolve the hull integrated rudder to surfskis?

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #6672 by Mulletman
wouldn't the rudder have to be in exactly the right position for this to work? Skegs only move up and down, no side to side variables..

Latest Forum Topics