Re: Safety issues: PFDs

More
16 years 9 months ago #681 by Rouen
Just to make things more complicated.......

I`m not exactly the smallest paddler around. I own a Tripper pfd that I bought last year. I can understand why guys complain when theyy say that pfd are uncomfortable. Mine restricts me around my chest and shoulders even when its on its biggest setting, and it feels bulky and to short.

But this weekend I was at the Land Rover G4 Waterfront Rush. There they issued us with a pfd made by Goya...used by what I assume is whitewater kayak paddlers as we used it when paddling Tuppers. The diffference between the Tripper and the Goya was HUGE...the Goya is not as bulky, with flat front and back panels. And not at all restrictive along the shoulders. And it fit me perfectly with space to spare.

My friend who is an experienced paddler and took part with me also commented on how comfy the Goya pfd were.

Now I`m just wondering if they will be allowed in surfski races?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #682 by Mullet
Replied by Mullet on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
another thing i have noticed is the number of paddlers using surf rescue tubes bungy-ed to the deck. Could this be suitable solution to the PDF debate? The sash is comfortably work and doesn't cause you to over-heat. It is easy enough to tape a drink system to the deck of the ski (nicer than carrying it!). The tube is there if you need to used it, and easy to ignore if not..

the rope on the tube would enable you to dive under waves unrestricted, and presumably the bungy reseases the tube without too much effort.

only potential hasel i can see is the potential for getting the rope wrapped around the ski, but the sash is so easy to take off and on, it should be easily sorted...

• nell
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #683 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
A lifeguard rescue tube on the rear deck is a great idea. Anyone know if they satisfy USCG approval as a type of pfd? My limited research tells me that they aren't.

Whey can't they make wearable pfd's out of this material that have lots of holes (like a bike helmet), minimal bulk, and not stiff or restrictive?

More
16 years 9 months ago #684 by Mako
Replied by Mako on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
Ultimately the PFD is needed to support a person in the water and in difficulty. This difficulty may be a medical episode or sheer exhaustion. Anything that requires a paddler to hold on with one or both hands to maintain buoyancy is inadequate. Relying on something taped to the deck is also inadequate as any medical episode will probably manifest while paddling and without warning. Taping other safety gear to the deck is also risky. Read how many paddlers lost their ski?s in the recent WC.

PFD?s are not uncomfortable or hot if correctly chosen. With water everywhere there are various ways to cool down if needed. PFD?s also provide storage on paddlers for flares, radio and phone.

• nell
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #685 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
Very true, however, I should bring up the point that not everyone who paddles a ski and needs a pfd, does so on the open ocean. Many of us in the US or elsewhere paddle in sweltering heat, on relatively flatwater, and often near shore BUT we are still required to have a pfd on the boat, AND I would rather wear one than have it on the rear deck. But when it is oftentimes too hot to wear a shirt, let alone a pfd and a shirt (rash prevention), another option can sometimes be welcome. The inflatable waist pfd's are good, but need inflating to work. The rescue tube, on the other hand is already "inflated" and attached to me.

Also, why are so many pfd's black or have so much dark, sun absorbing black on them?

More
16 years 9 months ago #686 by linda
Replied by linda on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
Hi Stan K,

Yes it is the Mokce jacket we are referring to. This jacket was uniquely designed by Dawid Mocke in order to comply with CSA requirements and it has been officially approved.

Contact us if you need any further information on (021) 705 0695

More
16 years 9 months ago #687 by linda
Replied by linda on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
There seems to be a fair amount of comment requesting a pfd that is not stiff, restrictive or bulky but that offers breathability and does not retain water.

Have you seen the Mocke jacket...... the perfect solution.

For more information contact Quiver on (021) 705 0695

More
16 years 9 months ago #688 by kwellman
Replied by kwellman on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
There have been a lot of informative posts. Mocke's jacket may be the perfect solution. I like wearable, inflatable PFDs. However, I need to comment regarding Nell's post. It is true that paddling in places like Florida during the summer is very hot. But paddling w/o a shirt is a dangerous solution. I've just been treated for my second case of skin cancer. This last one was a melanoma--the worse kind. Fortunately, I think it is taken care of. My wife is currently undergoing treatment for her 3rd case. None of hers have been a melanoma. Sun--the grim reaper of on-water people--is the culprit.

People, especially young people, do not properly access the risk of skin cancer. Rates of Melanoma are the most rapidly increasing of any cancer. There is no effective treatment once it begins to metastasize. Of course, other skin cancers are nothing to take lightly either. While sun screens offer some protection, to rely on these is very misguided. To begin with there is such a vast selection of sunscreens, all with unclear effectiveness, that it is a crapshoot when trying to get good protection. Secondly, no matter what the SPF factor, sun screens should be reapplied every 2 hrs. They must be applied heavily. In a "day at the beach," you should use approximately 4 oz of sun screen. That gets pretty expensive. So, the best solution is a long sleeve shirt (and hat). Dousing yourself with water can help with the heat. It may not be the best for your surf skier image, but it may save you a lot of grief down the road.

Latest Forum Topics