Re: Safety issues: PFDs

More
16 years 8 months ago #705 by stuartknaggs
Hey Joseph, I hear wht you say. In the past, it was only the lifeguards etc who were allowed to do the ski races. This meant that generally everyone could look after themselves or at least know the sea well enough to back out when they were not up to the conditions.

Now we have a different scenario. There are people from other backgrounds who also paddle well. They want to race skis too because its so great.

I really believe in individual responsibility - problem is, not everyone racing skis nowadays knows when the conditions are going to be beyond them when they stand on the beach. I am a firm believer in a leash between the paddler and the boat in wind over 20kts. Sure, if you loose your boat, I can probably swim home but I'm no milionaire so I'd rater keep my ski.

Likewise, if someone wants to wear a lifejacket and carry a cell phone to tell the wife he will be late home - great. To me, the problem comes when it becomes a blanket rule enforced regardless of conditions.

Prime example, the recent World Cup and Subsequent Scottburgh to Brighton. The World Cup warrented compulsory leashes and PFDs were probably not a bad idea but neither were compulsory. Then, 2 weeks later, the Scottburgh to Brighton was held in gentle winds and flat calm conditions but knee-jerk reactions dictated compulsory PFDs.

Lets all try to be rational about it. Carry the kit that applies to the situation and spend time learning the sea. As Joseph says, swimming in it is a great way to get aquainted.

End of my rant.

Stuart - proud owner of a new Mocke PFD.

PS - In the inter - Island race I organise, leashes are compulsory in wind over 10kt and if you choose not to wear a PFD. Also, paddlers must carry a smoke flare with burn time over 1min. We have a total of 10 security boats to support a fleet of around 30 paddlers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nell
  • Visitor
16 years 8 months ago #706 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
I just found a pic of the Mocke pfd and it looks light and well ventilated. Why aren't there more good designs like this?

www.canoeconcepts.co.za/photos/Other/Mocke_Kayak_Jacket.JPG

Rob, when are you going to be offering them for sale? And for shipping to the USA?

Cheers,

More
16 years 8 months ago #707 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
Joseph puts an interesting spin on things. If I do the maths correctly he is probably in his 70s? I am 37 and have a 3 year old, so not keen to shuffle off this mortal coil just yet. Also, although I swim well, I've had occasion to be grateful for wearing my PFD when I had my ski washed out from under me and onto the beach while 400m offshore. I'll keep wearing one I think.

More
16 years 8 months ago #708 by deanjordaan
Replied by deanjordaan on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
I was pretty glad I had my PFD on last Thursday, and I think you were too Gary. I won't lie and say the thought of me hanging on to my ski, being blown past Cape Point to Antarctica, hoping the NSRI would come and find me didn't occur to me. :)

Dean

More
16 years 8 months ago #709 by [email protected]

being blown past Cape Point to Antarctica

Ha - reading between the lines and extrapolating wildly, it sounds like you did a reverse Millers run? Did you go all the way to Buffels?

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 8 months ago #710 by [email protected]

Rob, when are you going to be offering them for sale? And for shipping to the USA?

Very shortly (give us another week). We've been trying out a range of PFDs from Quiver (Mocke), Tripper and we're hoping to get one from Goya to try.

I'm going to write an article with photos about them but there's not a lot to choose between the models. I like the Mocke because the front pocket is big enough to hold my handheld VHF. (Yep, I go the whole hog when I go offshore - mobile phone AND radio. Call me paranoid.)

The Tripper jackets are comfortable and well made - I've used the one with polystyrene balls (designed for river paddling); the padded foam jacket (designed for ski paddling, comfortable and warm) and their inflatable model (feels like there's nothign there, very light and cool, ideal for paddlers in hot conditions).

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 8 months ago #711 by Joseph
Replied by Joseph on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs
G'Day,

And you are right on with life today the land of entitled life I live in what ever that means? like bro I was dropped out in this world and you or some one better take care and watch me or I want that now, I just want it do you not hear well, it's me, me, me?

Comeing from old school I do not do birth days this Sept 8 the bod will be76 with the mind of a 16 year old, when we learned to do something we learned from the bottom up you want to play on the water you first swim well then think about a Toy not lets play on the water and put on a P.F.D. the Goverment says it will save me, Hay Rob, When you do your P.F.D. thing let me know if you come across one with a brain in it thanks.

Cheers Joseph

Joseph

More
16 years 7 months ago #712 by deanjordaan
Replied by deanjordaan on topic Re: Safety issues: PFDs

being blown past Cape Point to Antarctica

Ha - reading between the lines and extrapolating wildly, it sounds like you did a reverse Millers run? Did you go all the way to Buffels?

Yep. Wind picked up during the paddle and significantly from hurricance alley (Smitswinkel) where wind and swell blasted us side on. Wind report at Cape Point when we finished the paddle was NNW 30 knots gusting 45 knots+. Not fun.

Latest Forum Topics